FORUMS: list search recent posts

Punchy Saturated colors on 170?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
Punchy Saturated colors on 170?
on Feb 12, 2011 at 5:49:40 pm

I was Watching the PBS show Electric Company the new version, I really like the colors and saturation they achive with very little aux light, as most of it is shoot Outdoors. I did some research and found that they shoot on a HPX3000, But they did their Test shooting on a HVX 200 early on in deveoplement. I know that they Hpx-170 can't reproduce the Color of the 3000 but i was wonders if anyone knows how to get close of could point me in the right direction to play with some of my settings to achive a similarly punchy colors,

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Punchy Saturated colors on 170?
on Feb 12, 2011 at 5:54:44 pm

Have you looked at the scene files you can download on Panasonic's website?

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId...

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Feb 12, 2011 at 6:10:17 pm

I have Used the LUSH and VIVD scene files, Are these my best options?

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 13, 2011 at 1:49:47 pm

There are no best options. You dial in the look you want from your camera. Proper monitoring is essential to achieve this look.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:30:38 am

I'd really doubt that look is entirely achieved in camera. Sure they light and compose with an eye toward that effect but I'd guess a lot of it is brought to life in post during grading/color correction. That's what you really need to master to get a high end look. Learn Apple Color, BMD DaVinci Resolve, etc.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:32:40 pm

[Mike Jeffs] "I was Watching the PBS show Electric Company the new version, I really like the colors and saturation they achive with very little aux light, as most of it is shoot Outdoors."

Many camera mfg's allow access into the Color Matrix on many of the Pro and Prosumer cameras, this is where you go deep into the menu structure and modify the cameras ability to record chroma and luma.

Usually reserved for the high end, many cameras are now allowing users access into the heart their color science, since ALL cameras ship from the factory with colorimetry set well within the REC 709 specifications, chroma levels in most shipping HD cameras is usually between 65%- 75% of what is capable within the "Legal" SMPTE specs.

The same matrix controls allow users to correct color temperature or to modify color phase, whether compensating for camera issues or bias, to creating a brand new " look" like you are referring too. This is often done Onset with highend cameras with a Paintbox or ECU (electronic control unit), that allows a video engineer or DIT remotely control the cameras colorimetry while viewing on external displays or scopes.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]