FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 card reader?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vinnie Urgo
P2 card reader?
on Feb 10, 2011 at 5:03:48 pm

Woops,
Due to the obsolescence of my powerbook g4 and the new affordability of P2 cards I sold my old computer with the p2 card slot.....now I am finding the need for a reader of some sort. There seem to be plenty of pcmcia readers but nothing that goes to USB or firewire. I can obviously use the camera but it takes 2 min per gig to upload. so with 2 full cards I am dealing with a time issue. To have another reader that is affordable would be great! ANy ideas on how/where to find one that is p2 compatible?

Thanks

Vinnie Urgo
Photo and Video Professional
vincenturgo@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Dario Antepara
Re: P2 card reader?
on Feb 10, 2011 at 7:10:13 pm

I use the Panasonic AJ-PCD2 $350 and goes directly to USB. It needs two USB inputs... One for the power, one for reading. It works like a charm.

Return to posts index

Vinnie Urgo
on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:16:56 pm

Cool thanks for the input. There seems to be a lot of readers around the 50-70 dollar mark, just can;t seem to find one that goes from PCMCIA to USB that is P2 compatible. But your option is certainly an option.

Thanks

Vinnie Urgo
Photo and Video Professional
vincenturgo@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Feb 11, 2011 at 1:50:42 am

If you are near to AC supply.. can you power that reader direct from a socket with a USB - mains adaptor ?
There by freeing up one of your laptop USB,s..??

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dario Antepara
on Feb 11, 2011 at 1:54:17 am

??? Never tried... Didn't know those power adaptors existed. You could probably do it with an USB hub too.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:11:42 pm

seems to be a lot of readers around the 50-70 dollar mark

Carefull, if you're using SL - these do not work.
Get the $350 Panny one, it's the only cheap option.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Philip Fass
on Mar 13, 2011 at 5:40:30 pm

I've read some posts that say the $350 Panasonic card reader offers a faster transfer rate than camera-to-ext. hard drive connection.

I can't figure out why this would be, since the limiting factor would seem to be the speed of USB2. What is it about the card reader that makes transfer faster?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]