FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Spanned P2 Media HPX170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Simpson
Importing Spanned P2 Media HPX170
on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:38:35 pm

Hi all,

I've recently run into an issue with Avid AMA import of P2 media. I have roughly 2-3 two hour long segments of recording (a day long training/workshop). During recording, when card filled I replaced it without turning the camera off or stopping 'record' as the second card still maintained usable memory space. (I think this method is where I went wrong in the begining). Over lunch during the training I dumped 2 of my full P2 cards from the top directory onto an external harrddrive and then reformatted the cards to finish up the day's shoot.

I had succesfully consolidated to Avid via AMA using an external drive before, but when I made the attempt to import the media on the external everything was out of whack. After quite a bit of forum searching, messing with AMA settings, restarting etc., I finally noticed a small logo on the thumbnail of some clips from this shoot (still on P2 cards) in the camera which indicated (after looking it up with Panasonic) that the clip marked with the logo was only partly recorded on that particular card.

By process of elimination I was able to succesfully link clips on two cards, but the remaining 3 must have some correlation with the cards that were dumped ot the external drive as I can't seem to connect those with their missing halves.

Has anyone ever dealt with this conundrum before? Workflow suggestions?

My last attempt before giving up and reformatting all of my P2 cards is to dump all the cards to a single location on a single external drive in hopes that Avid AMA will fill in the gaps. If doesn't work this time, no biggie the audio on this is crap and the whole thing recorded more for posterity than any real practical purpose, but in the future I forsee this being a possible recurring issue, hence a workflow strategy to overcome this challenge seems key!

I appreciate any and all responses,

Lindsay

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Importing Spanned P2 Media HPX170
on Feb 4, 2011 at 5:09:23 am

Not sure how or what AMA might or might not be doing (i use fcp) but I do know a little how spanned clips work. Basically, you've got it right. Without all of the clips present, an NLE should treat the clips separately and you will have to join them later. It will look for the other clips, but won't find them. At that point the span is broken and you are on your own to line them up once everything is in the system.

Make sense?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Feb 4, 2011 at 11:27:31 am

Also, no need to shut cam down when swapping cards.
Pull the full card out when the cam is writing to second card and swap.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:22:24 pm

Good to know. I was replacing a full card with the camera running, but another colleague relayed a similar situation where all media was lost because of that particular pracitce. I do believe the camera was a prosumer panasonic using SD cards rather than P2 media, and I suppose that makes sense.

In the future I will continue shooting continuosly as I did on the occasion in question. Thanks for confirming.

Lindsay

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:20:33 pm

Yep that definitely makes sense. I just wish Avid (I'm a former FCP user, and now regrettably only use it for freelance!) would recognize a portion of a spanned clip as an individual file, but rather will show any portion of a spanned clip as offline unless it reads the other required files or half of the spanned clip.

I solved the problem by dumping all of my cards and previosly dumped content to one location on an external drive. I pointed AMA to the top directory and voila!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]