FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 to Hard Drive Copy in Field

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tompkins
P2 to Hard Drive Copy in Field
on Feb 1, 2011 at 11:57:42 pm

So, I've been bringing a LapTop and Hard Drives to shoots along with every data cable combination known to man. This is to make Back Ups/ Archives/ Client hand offs. It's a whole extra pile of Stuff.

I bought a USB self Powered Hard Drive. 500 GB, a Western Digital Elements Pocket Drive.

Very neat little device, fits in your shirt pocket.
I wanted to try out dumping the P2 Data off in the field straight to a Hard drive and see how it would fly.

Well, it took 2GB a minute to transfer on a HPX370 Camera. Not very fast IMO.
I filled a 16 GB card for the test and it took 29.5 Min. to transfer.

Plus you have Menu and setup time in there. It verifies the data. You can also copy from the HD back to the P2 Card if needed.

Imagine if you had an all day event coverage shoot going on and you wanted to off-load some cards during the break or the lunch hour to reuse. It won't work. There's not enough time. Maybe you could off load 1 -16GB card during an hour long break but that's not really getting much.

However, it has it's place. I can off load the P2 Media to the pocket drive @ the end of a shoot and hand it off to the client. I just put it in the budget.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Jurgen Hoppe
Re: P2 to Hard Drive Copy in Field
on Feb 11, 2011 at 12:54:14 pm

One of the advantages of tapeless systems is that you can download while continuing shooting without the use of a tape deck. With a laptop, the small P2 Panasonic card reader and an external hard disk attached, I download the 64GB in 30 mins. I downloaded 3 64GB cards with the 17" Mac laptop (fully charged with good battery) without connecting it to a power source. Hard to beat.

Return to posts index

Randy Burleson
on Feb 11, 2011 at 9:15:47 pm

not to be picky but you said it took 2GB per minute, I think you meant 2 Minutes per GB.
Otherwise a 16GB card would be done in 8 minutes.

Sorry.. .I just wanted to be clear on that.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Feb 11, 2011 at 9:19:53 pm

Ya, it was 2 Min./Gig
Sorry.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]