FORUMS: list search recent posts

1200A and Firestore

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Borruso
1200A and Firestore
on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:46:50 pm

I have a Panasonic AJ-HD1200A deck and would like to dub tapes via the firewire connection to a firestore to P2.

DVCPROHD Tapes where shot with a varicam at 720p30. Some of the transfers show the shoot rate at 30, but most show it at 60. Is there some setting either in the deck or in the firewire itself that I need to make in order for the correct shoot rate to be send to the firestore.

It is very odd that only a few tapes how the proper shoot rate and will allow me to log and transfer removing the extra frames. All the tapes were defiantly shot at 30fps.

There are two tapes that say where shot at 110fps! I tried to redo it to see if it was just randomly assigning shoot rates, but all the tapes show up the same way no matter how many times I xfer them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: 1200A and Firestore
on Jan 25, 2011 at 1:03:21 am

I don't think this is possible. I could be wrong. I didn't have my FS-100 long enough to try. I've gone DV to the FS-4. Non standard frame rates will not transfer.

Why can't you capture your footage into your NLE?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Joseph Borruso
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:08:36 pm

I have an AJA Kona 3. There is not setting to digitize 720p30. I can only do that via firewire. I can do it over firewire, but I am using firewire drives for my media. And sometimes I have bandwidth issues.

Additionally, I by transfer it to Firestore I can only run the tape once and then I can make all the clips I need through log and transfer, less were and tare on the camera original tape.

AJA says that it does not have a setting for 720p30 and were not that helpful.

Focus, firestore maker, said it should take all infor via firewre and to call Panasonic. I have a call into Panasonic they are supposed to get back to me within 48 hours.

I thought maybe some had done this before and new if there were settings on the 1200a deck that would make it work.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:57:41 pm

[Joseph Borruso] "I have an AJA Kona 3. There is not setting to digitize 720p30."

This is kind of true. What you need to do is duplicate the 720p23.98 VFR setting and change the settings to 29.97. The Kona is perfectly capable of capturing 720p29.97 material from Panasonic cameras.

The firestore thing seems like a lost cause, really.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joseph Borruso
on Jan 25, 2011 at 8:14:21 pm

I did change the 23.98 Kona setting to 29.97, but the material came in completely out of sync.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2011 at 8:27:15 pm

You have to change it in a few spots.

Start by selecting the AJA Kona 720p23.98 VFR easy setup in the codec of your choice (ProRes, DVCPro HD etc) by hitting control-Q.

Then go to Audio/Video Settings in the prefs (or hit command-option-Q).

There you will see the summary page which should reflect the 23.98 settings you just selected.

Click on the sequence preset tab, duplicate the current 23.98 one, rename it with 29.97 and change the 'Editing TImebase' to 29.97.

Next, click on the capture presets tab and do essentially the same thing, accept change the parameter called "FPS".

Leave the device control and A/V devices alone.

Go back to the summary tab.

Make sure that the two new settings you just created for sequence preset and capture preset are showing and Device control preset and video playback should still be the same (Panasonic VFR for device control, 720p59.94 8 or 10 bit layback for video out).

Click the create new easy setup button and name it something cool and fun.

ENjoy your 29.97 capture preset, just remember not to try and capture bars at the beginning of the tape and everything should work smoothly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joseph Borruso
on Jan 25, 2011 at 9:41:11 pm

Thanks,

I'll give it a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]