FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shopping for a new camera

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Cervarich
Shopping for a new camera
on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:26:33 pm

My Panasonic DVX100A has finally died on me. I used it for clients (corporate and education) who could not afford a videographer. To land them I would delegate myself the videographer. I also used it for personal projects, one of which ran on a regional PBS station last year.

Going into this shopping process, I was thinking about the Sony EX1 but when I picked up the phone and started calling salespeople, each one suggested other models as more appropriate after I told them my use for the camera. They suggested the Panasonic HMC150, the Sony HXR-NX5U and the Panasonic AGHVX-200A.

All of the alternative suggestions are AVCHD cameras and have 1/3" sensors, I pointed out. The salespeople responded that I would never be able to see the difference.

It is true that these cameras cost considerably less than the EX1, which definitely has its attractions. But I've learned not to put my trust in the words of people trying to make a sale.

I need advice. What camera would you recommend for my purpose? Thank you in advance for whatever advice you may offer.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Shopping for a new camera
on Jan 21, 2011 at 11:44:55 pm

HPX170 is a real value for the quality you get.
It has most of the pro features.

FWIW

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 22, 2011 at 4:22:20 am

Panasonic has some great offers going on.

HPX-370 $2000 rebate.

That's your best bang for the buck!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 22, 2011 at 11:48:13 am

Holy Crap!
I almost bought this cam 2 weeks ago.
This is an incredible deal.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 22, 2011 at 5:13:07 pm

I'd also recommend the AF100- that's a pretty sweet cam.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jan 22, 2011 at 9:48:11 pm

I don't think spending money on HVX-200 makes any sense or even HPX-170 for that matter. They both are pretty poor in low light.

I agree with Noah, go for Panasonic AF-100, but only if you fully understand this camera's advantages & limitations.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Anthony Gutierrez
on Jan 24, 2011 at 8:09:18 pm

I own an HVX200 P2 camera ($3,800)
you'll need a P2 reader/storage drive ($500-used, discontinued)
or digital storage device or multi-slot P2 card adapter or portable P2 editor/storage ($500-$4,500)
P2 cards ($400-$900each)
and editing software to read mxf ($?)

The production company I shoot for bought the NX5u - it's awesome! ($4,000) shoots to SDHC cards.. cheap and works well with both PC/Adobe CS5 and Mac/FCP
And now just bought a JCV HM100F ($2,800) shoots to SDHC.. cheaper and works well with both PC/Adobe CS5 and Mac/FCP

For my next camera the Panasonic AF100 is very appealing to me for 4/3 type image sensor. That's 13 times the size of comparably priced 1/3" sensors (and almost 4 times larger than the 2/3" chips found in cameras costing more than twice as much!!
The investiment I've already made in Zeiss primes and the SDHC media cheapness add icing to this visionary cake.

For the price of an EX1 ($6,200) and media ($700), you can get 2 JVCs and upgrade maybe your software for PC/Mac... OR you can buy my Panasonic HVX200, 3 16gig cards and Letus 35mm lense adapter and I will buy the AF100.

Money
Bang
Future

Anthony Gutierrez
StickyFeet Studio

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Jan 24, 2011 at 9:10:32 pm

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my original post. Your responses have been very thought provoking and have provided much insight. Thank you all again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]