FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing MXF file

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aminta goyel
Missing MXF file
on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:18:05 pm

Hi guys,
I've been using the HVX200A for several months now and love it; the workflow has been convenient and I have had no problems. I recently shot about 30 minutes of footage and copied the folders onto my computer's hard drive, as I always do. However, when I went into FCP's log and transfer, it only showed 4 clips instead of 6. Since I hadn't yet deleted the files from the p2 card, I went back to the camera and checked - again, it only shows 4 clips. What's weird is that the folder I copied onto my hard drive clearly shows 6 mxf files, and I know I shot more than what shows up in FCP. What is going on? Is my p2 card corrupted? Can I salvage the extra MXF files without having to buy Raylight or other conversion software? Help!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Missing MXF file
on Jan 19, 2011 at 1:43:36 am

Your clips are fine. I imagine you have one or two clips in the L&T window that say "spanned", right?

On to P2 cards, the file size limit is 4GBs. This means that any one file can only be 4GBs in size or less, after that a new file is written and then connected through metadata in a process Panasonic called spanned clips. It also happens when a the recording rolls over to another p2 card when the first one is full.

FCP only names the file after the first clip in the span and then automatically joins the rest of the spanned clips as the MacOS can sustain files that are over 4GBs.

As long as you see (spanned) after some of your clips, you will be A-OK.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Aminta goyel
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:27:45 pm

Thanks for your reply. I've had spanned clips in the past, but this time it didn't say any were spanned, and I went through each clip and clearly some stuff was missing. Anyway, we decided to buy raylight and I've managed to recover the files. Still a mystery though!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:50:27 pm

Ok. In that case, do you have six XML files in the CLIP folder?

Return to posts index

Aminta goyel
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:55:36 pm

Yeah, 6 XML files in the clip folder, only 4 in L&T (and on the camera), but 6 complete files after using Raylight. I would love to know if anyone has any ideas about what this is. I've solved the problem for now by getting Raylight, but I want to know (for the sake of my sanity and future projects) what this could have been.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:07:14 pm

Ok, do me a favor and log and transfer all of the clips and string them out on a timelinee, then on the layer on top, string out the raylight files.

Do the durations match?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]