FORUMS: list search recent posts

Free Editing Software for P2 files

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Rocchio
Free Editing Software for P2 files
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:51:40 pm

I'm afraid I already know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. Is there any free editing software out there which supports the P2 format. The trial version of Adobe Premiere will not.

I'm not looking for a whole lot of bells and whistles, just the ability to cut.

Alternatively, is there a conversion program that will transcode the files into HD files that something like the trial version of Adobe will work with?

For those of you tempted to make the "gotta pay to play response" please spare me.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Re: Free Editing Software for P2 files
on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:54:01 pm

The people at Raindance.org did a great job at making a free list.. Some of these just might do the job.

Keep us informed of the pain that ensues. Everybody is always looking for a new path. Just need a trail blazer to knock down the brambles.

http://www.raindance.org/site/zero-budget-software-guide

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Vincent Rocchio
Re: Free Editing Software for P2 files
on Jan 13, 2011 at 1:13:10 am

Nate (et. al),

Unbelievably, I think I have answered my own question.

First, apologies for not specifying platform. I'm looking for a solution for 64bit PC platform.

Now, the solution.

I've discovered Lightworks, and while not as intuitive as Premiere or Final Cut, it does seem to work. Keep in mind I've only been using it for 1/2 an hour.

It has loads of followers, and its list of film credits is pretty impressive.

I confess I have never been a fan of Avid: I always thought it unnecessarily proprietary and a bit cumbersome on top of it.

Lightworks makes Avid look like Windows Moviemaker. It is just NOT a very easy user interface. To date I have worked on Media 100, Avid, Premiere, and Final Cut, so I get the basic logic of digital editing. It took me quite a while to figure out that the timeline was in fact what they call a strip view.

I'm looking for a freebie because I'm going to be working in the field with groups of students--all editing their documentaries on laptops. I don't have the budget to pay for 5 Adobe licenses. But I can't see myself trying to teach inexperienced students how to use Lightwave, its just not intuitive enough. I've taught students using Premiere and Final Cut, and after 1/2 an hour they can run pretty far. I've also taught Avid with not as much luck, but not bad either. Lightwave? I just can't see them RUNNING with it. Everything you want to do is a bit of a major question. Really REALLY lacking in interface. Hey, GUI is everything.

So am I RUNNING with Lightworks? Kicking up my heels and singing tra-la-la? No. But I will say this, hats off to a group that has a free beta out there that is definitely powerful and will let you work with P2 files.

Here's the link for those of you who are interested:

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]