FORUMS: list search recent posts

SLR cameras also do HD

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Tannenbaum
SLR cameras also do HD
on Jan 3, 2011 at 7:28:26 pm

I've seen that some higher end digital SLRs do 1080p HD video. I am guessing that they use the H264 codec. I also suspect that the audio is not as good on the SLR used as a video camera. Can anyone tell me advantages and other disadvantages to using a high end SLR as a video camera

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: SLR cameras also do HD
on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:28:59 pm

there is a forum dedicated to DSLRs here on the cow.

http://forums.creativecow.net/dslr#1366

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 3, 2011 at 9:01:58 pm

You've already correctly guessed that a camera designed primarily for still images may not necessarily be optimized for smooth operation as a TV camera.

Yet some people just swear by the images that DSLRs make, and to acquire those stunning images, they're willing to put up with a lot of aggravation. In no particular order, here are some of the problems:
  • You have to get a special rig to put camera controls in a place for easy use.
  • You probably need special camera support gear, too; a normal plate on a tripod just won't do.
  • You have to record audio separately from the video.
  • You have to get an effective way to simulate a viewfinder; every camera manufacturer has its own method for monitoring video.
  • Many editing applications (FCP in particular) can't use the video in its native acquisition codec.
  • These cameras have what's known as a Rolling Shutter: very bad for shooting even moderately-fast horizontal motion, or any kind of motion under strobe lights.

That's a partial list, but it at least you can appreciate that a DSLR won't replace a normal TV camera for every situation, and that you REALLY have to be in love with the images they make to commit to using one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 4, 2011 at 1:17:32 am

And now there are video cameras appearing with DSLR sensors such as the Panasonic AF100, which IMHO is the best of both worlds...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]