FORUMS: list search recent posts

p2cms archiving

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bryan parris
p2cms archiving
on Dec 21, 2010 at 4:23:24 pm

Calling all p2CMS experts...
We are new to p2, having just purchased an HPX370. We are attempting to construct an archiving workflow and were pointed to Panasonic's P2 Content Management Software as a possible solution. Here was the idea:
1. Using p2CMS, give clips descriptive names in the metadata and create a database of all clips used in a project.
2. Copy files to appropriate Avid PC for edit.
3. Use AMA to access files so new clip names are visible during edit.
4. Archive p2 files to LTO tape drive
5. If specific clips are needed in future projects, access p2CMS database to search for descriptive clip name, and cross-reference p2-generated clip name.
6. Search LTO tape for p2-generated clip name.
7. Restore clip.

Here are the issues I'm running into:
1. p2CMS is WindowsXP 32bit only and our edit suites are Win7 64 bit, so we need to use other PCs for initial "logging".
2. It appears that we need to ingest the p2 card for its metadata to be added to the database. I hope I'm wrong, because I don't want to ingest the cards to a different PC than where it will be edited - big time waster.
3. I can't figure out how to access the database once it's been created.
4. I can't figure out how to put multiple cards into one database.

Am I trying to make it do something that it just won't do? Any suggestions? Step-by-step workflow inside p2cms?

Thanks,
Bryan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: p2cms archiving
on Dec 26, 2010 at 4:30:58 pm

I'm not sure if P2CMS is the right tool for this job. It's possible, but i think you might what to look at more robust archiving options. Catdv immediately comes to mind.

When you restore, are looking to restore just one p2 clip, or are you going to restore all clips on that card?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]