FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Workflow computer question

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Ng
P2 Workflow computer question
on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:04:47 am

Hello everyone,

Very sorry for this basic and newbie question but I am just starting to learn about editing with FCP and using a P2 card. Prior I was using the HVX150 with the SD card and Vegas but now I have a HPX170.

Currently I have two computers with P2 card readers:

Sony Vaio VGN-FS790 with 1.73Ghz 2gb RAM running on XP
and
Apple Powerbook G4 non Intel

My question is, are these computers good for off loading from the P2 and using them for editing? Premier or FCP?

Currently I use the 800 cable from my HPX170 to my Macbook Pro but I have read that people with a P2 capable computer use it more or is it quicker because it takes a lot of time to download.

Sorry if this does not make sense as I am new but any advice would be helpful.

Cheers

Ed

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 Workflow computer question
on Dec 11, 2010 at 1:24:15 am

[Ed Ng] "My question is, are these computers good for off loading from the P2 and using them for editing? Premier or FCP?"

I don't know about the PC, but the Mac is pretty old...and the best it can do is FCP 6. BUT, that's plenty fine for editing DVCPRO HD. I used mine a lot for that. And I love it..and still HAVE IT...because the slot takes in P2 cards without an adapter.

[Ed Ng] "I have read that people with a P2 capable computer use it more or is it quicker because it takes a lot of time to download. "

The Powerbook G4 with the slot is definitely faster than the FW connection from the camera. I can offload a 64GB card...full...in 40 min. Via FW...it takes about twice that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]