FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 directory structure / missing contents folder / READ ERR!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sandra Widmann
P2 directory structure / missing contents folder / READ ERR!
on Dec 5, 2010 at 4:38:46 am

I installed the driver for the AJ-PCD20 and two hours later got the P2 cards to mount on my desktop. (I'm running Snow Leopard and had a ridiculous time finding the driver for that, almost reinstalling my original OS to make this work.)

Finally the cards mounted and all that is on them is the .txt file. They each show almost 16 gig avail (16 gig cards.) One card's info shows date last modified 11/29 and the other shows last night (when I was working with them) as the last modified date. When the cards were put back into the camera to check for clips it said "READ ERR!" in red.

I ran Treasured on my Mac and it found a lot of clips on one of the cards. The other card shows 51 files but it needed 'human review' to see if the files were recoverable. This may be because you are only allowed one 'review' before having to buy the program (?) but I need to make sure it works like I need it to before spending the money.

Both cards' errors show "the unit ran out of battery while recording". I am not the camera operator, I am here strictly to edit.

Is there are way to rebuild the directory structure (FCP gave me THAT error on both cards) and also get the Contents folder to show up?

I am at the point my eyeballs want to fall out of my head.

Thank you, in advance, for any help.

Sandy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: P2 directory structure / missing contents folder / READ ERR!
on Dec 5, 2010 at 4:59:05 am

Yeah those sound completely hosed- buy the recovery software, charge to the production.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Sandra Widmann
on Dec 5, 2010 at 5:54:44 am

Thank you. I would love to know what caused it so it never happens again.

Sandy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 5, 2010 at 8:48:51 pm

well that's a question for your DP. If the metadata says battery went out that would be my guess- i.e. operator error. There's no such thing as 100% foolproof. :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 6, 2010 at 12:49:54 am

[Sandra Widmann] "I installed the driver for the AJ-PCD20 and two hours later "

Next time:

http://www.panasonic.com/p2hd

From there, you get here:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/p2-hd/downloads-and-updates.asp

As far as the cards, I'd send them in to get recovered. If you do use Treasured, I am sure everything will be out of order and not in folders. You cna then use MXF4mac (you must pay for) and Atomic Fusion (free from MXF4mac) to send the files over to FCP in a way that makes sense.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sandra Widmann
on Dec 6, 2010 at 3:43:08 am

Thank you!! Now I know. :)

Treasured seems to be working very well once I figured it out. The video and audio are separate quicktime files now that they've sent me the repair file. The video has glitches which is expected until I complete the purchase to unlock the full repair. This is great so far! Will let you know if it truly does the trick once I'm finished working on the other P2 card for all of us that have this problem in the future.

If I sent to Panasonic I am afraid it would take longer than I have to complete this project.

Thank You, again!

Sincerely,

Sandy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 6, 2010 at 6:31:46 pm

[Sandra Widmann] "This is great so far! Will let you know if it truly does the trick once I'm finished working on the other P2 card for all of us that have this problem in the future. "

I looked up Treasured and I see it's something different than I originally thought.

Hope it works for you, let us know if it does.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sandra Widmann
on Dec 7, 2010 at 1:14:45 pm

Treasured was able to recover files that I feel never would have been recovered other than sending to Panasonic. I am still trying to figure out how to make the RepairMovie work so the artifacts are gone. (Once Treasured uploads the file to its server, they send you back a program called "RepairMovie" matching your clip's specific needs. If you see it is working and want to get rid of the artifacts (like earmarks to protect the software designer) you just purchase the code that unlocks RepairMovie.) It's me, not the program. I think I'm trying too hard when it's something that is simple.

Once that glitch is worked out I will attempt to reformat the cards and hope they do not give me any trouble. It's been enough.

Have a great day! Thank you all for all of your help!

Sincerely,

Sandy

Return to posts index

Sandra Widmann
on Dec 9, 2010 at 12:17:31 am

Jeremy,

Treasured, along with the RepairKit they send once the files are evaluated are pretty much miracle workers when all of the above has failed on P2 cards (or any type of disk, I believe.) Their customer service is very attentive and have done everything to help me along with this process, as you have here.

I highly recommend this program to anyone who has files they think are lost forever. If they can be retrieved, Treasured will find the way. It was very inexpensive compared to having to shoot it all over again!

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,

Sandy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:56:01 pm

Great to know. Thanks for the update.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]