FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having trouble ingesting possible corrput P2 card into FCP 6.06

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ellen Castleberry
Having trouble ingesting possible corrput P2 card into FCP 6.06
on Dec 2, 2010 at 9:46:23 pm

Hi,

I'm using FCP 6.06 and am having trouble ingesting files from a particular P2 card. I don't think it has anything to do with my settings, because I've ingested several other P2 cards from the same shoot, same shooter, same camera (a Panasonic HVX) - cards before I had the issue and after I had the issue.

Here's what I did:
Made a folder with another folder inside of it (I'll call it "folder 2") on an external drive connected via firewire 400. I was reading the P2 card directly from a slot on the computer.

Transferred the lastclip.txt file from the p2 card to Folder 2
Transferred the Contents folder from the P2 card to Folder 2

I'm not getting any error messages, however, next I tried to re-copy everything from the P2 card directly to the computer's desktop, and I got an error message about how one of the files was read only and was unable to be copied. I did NOT receive an error message and was able to copy the files to the external HD with a hitch.

Also, the media shows up and is playable on the camera.

Do you have any ideas of how I could ingest the footage or what I could do to solve this problem?

Thank you!

-Ellen Castleberry
Video Editor and Motion Graphics Artist
http://ellencastleberry.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Having trouble ingesting possible corrput P2 card into FCP 6.06
on Dec 2, 2010 at 11:37:17 pm

You can copy to the external drive, but not your INTERNAL drive? You get an error that says the FILE is read only? But only when you copy to the internal drive, and only one card?

Well...why are you doing that? Once you copy the footage to the external, you shouldn't copy it to your computers desktop. What purpose does this serve? OH! Check to see how much space is left on your computers internal hard drive...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ellen Castleberry
on Dec 2, 2010 at 11:45:53 pm

Prior to this issue we had been copying the files to the internal drive, then transferring them to my external drive so that we would have two back-ups before formatting the P2 card. The internal drive of the computer was full, and since it wasn't mine, I didn't want to delete any files, so I transferred directly to the external drive. I was worried that skipping the step of transferring them to the internal drive was what created the error.

It is only one card, and yes, I only had the error message come up when copying to the internal drive.

Thanks,

Ellen Castleberry
Video Editor and Motion Graphic Artist
http://ellencastleberry.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2010 at 11:56:37 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Just copy the folder from the External if you want a backup.

Shane

Return to posts index

Ellen Castleberry
on Dec 3, 2010 at 12:00:44 am

Thanks for the tip, in the future I'll do that. I am able to select the folder from that P2 card in FCP, but nothing shows up in the Log and Transfer window.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 3, 2010 at 12:45:56 am

Do you have FX Factory installed? Perian?

Shane

Return to posts index

Ellen Castleberry
on Dec 3, 2010 at 12:50:36 am

No, I don't have either installed. The shooter told me the P2 card was getting old, close to 5 years. Do you think it's possible that it's corrupt? It's just so weird that the footage can be played in the camera. Again, I've had no problems with the other P2 cards I've ingested (maybe 7 or 8 cards).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]