FORUMS: list search recent posts

CCDs vx CMOS

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Gerber
CCDs vx CMOS
on Nov 19, 2010 at 5:02:50 pm

Does anyone know the difference between CCDs and CMOS? I'm shopping for a new new camera and don't know this difference.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: CCDs vx CMOS
on Nov 19, 2010 at 6:33:53 pm

google it. the biggest thing with cmos is the rolling shutter effect. The benefit of a CMOS is that they are cheaper. Some of the higher end cameras by sony or panasonic with CMOS chips deal with the rolling shutter better than the others.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:28:21 pm

CMOS is pretty much most cameras today so I'd say don't stress about it.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 20, 2010 at 12:32:55 am

I agree with the not to stress about it but I'm a firm believer in knowing the short comings and limitations. Then you can creatively work around them.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Nov 26, 2010 at 1:27:16 am

I shoot mostly documentaries where I show up in many different indoor environments and have to shoot with mostly available lighting. I have a CMOS and a CCD camera and on almost every job with the CMOS camera at least one room or wall or something is creating a strobing bar effect-- rolling shutter-- due to a particular combination of florescent bulbs and frequencies and whatever.

So if you are run and gun at real-world locations, be aware. It's not always pretty.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]