FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Card clip repair and possible corrupt .MXF file

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Kennedy
P2 Card clip repair and possible corrupt .MXF file
on Nov 15, 2010 at 10:21:30 pm

I am new to the forum and I'm in desperate need of help! I tried to log and transfer some footage that I shot using a Panasonic HVX200 and Final Cut Pro 7. There was a clip that was over an hour in length and it would not let me log the clip as it Spanned clip and the following clip said partial span. I tried multiple times to transfer the footage with no luck. In the log and transfer window I renamed the clip and when I did the clip on the camera went grey with a X over it. I used the loop clip repair function on the camera and it got back about 20 minutes of the footage but the rest of the clip is missing and I've tried everything I know to get it back. Is the .MXF file possibly corrupt? Is there any way to get back the information on the clip? Please help me!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: P2 Card clip repair and possible corrupt .MXF file
on Nov 16, 2010 at 1:47:13 am

Did you copy the card in full to a HD or are you trying to go from the P2 card in the camera to Log and Transfer in FCP?

Return to posts index

Travis Kennedy
on Nov 16, 2010 at 6:26:55 am

I initially tried to log and capture the footage directly from the camera and the 2 P2 cards. When I tried to do this the second to the last clip said spanned clip and the last clip said partial span. I then renamed the second the the last clip in the log and transfer window in FCP and had to delete the first clip on the P2 card to video more footage. (normally I would have done this but it was a wedding and there were time constraints). When I renamed the second to last clip in the log and transfer window and deleted the first clip on the first P2 card, the clip that was second to last in the log and transfer window went gray with an X over the thumbnail in the camera. I tried the clip loop repair function in the camera and a thumbnail showed up again but with only maybe %20 percent of the clip. There still shows the exclamation point in the top right of the clip thumbnail in the camera. I then transferred the entire contents from the P2 volumes to my internal hard drive and tried to log the footage directly from the hard drive. The clip was still missing most of the footage. I was original able to view the entire clip in the browser of the log and transfer window and now I only see maybe %20 percent of it whether or not it's trying to be logged from the internal hard drive or from the camera. I think I may have messed up the file structure of the clips and clip names causing me to not have access to the entire clip. Please help!!!!!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 17, 2010 at 3:10:49 am

Travis

You do need help. Help in learning P2 workflow.

You mentioned you "deleted" the first clip. Never delete clips without backing up the card first.

The damage is done.

Next wedding, bring enough P2 cards to shoot the entire event. You wouldn't drive to an event on an almost empty tank of gas with no money on you would you?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:08:01 am

Also never do a Log and Transfer from the cards, especially in the camera. The cards need to be backed up, Which is so much faster anyway. You can use P2CMS to check the clips and then you move on.

Without understand the workflow these cards are troublesome. You have to do it the P2 way but once you learn it is it pretty smooth.

Return to posts index

Travis Kennedy
on Nov 17, 2010 at 6:34:25 pm

Yes Steve I understand that I have a lot to learn with workflow of P2 cards and backup. I have learned an immense amount about the technology since having this problem. I have used the log and transfer function straight from the camera over a dozen times and never had any problems so I didn't think this would be any different. The clip that I deleted had nothing to do with the clip that was partially there so I didn't understand that it would cause a problem. Anyway, thank you for your post, however I was looking for possible help with the matter.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 18, 2010 at 3:54:01 pm

With video production you don't want to rely on things that work most of the time, you want the best tried and true methods of a workflow. So much is at stake. But we all learn the hard way, myself included.

Did you delete the clip from the cameras menu or from the finder or Log and transfer?

But it is almost impossible to tell you what went wrong.

Return to posts index

Travis Kennedy
on Nov 18, 2010 at 7:11:06 pm

I deleted only the first clip on the first P2 card from the camera menu. The clip in question however is clip #20 and the footage that got lost is between where clip 19 end and where clip 20 starts. I can still view a partial amount of the clip but I'm missing about an hour of footage still. Yes learning the hard way isn't fun. I have certainly learned my lesson. I have sent the P2 cards to Panasonic in hopes to recover the remainder of the clip.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:55:22 am

You deleted the spanned clip.

Always, always, always back up your cards before deleting anything.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]