FORUMS: list search recent posts

Squeezed or Letter box

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Ventura
Squeezed or Letter box
on Nov 9, 2010 at 9:47:56 pm

I have been shooting on panasonic HPX170 and using the letterbox 720PN mode and I output to Beta SP: and when i see on air even in the widescreen TV is still in letter box.

now my question is: How do I shoot it so it fills the screen without the letter Box? and how will shooting squeezed will affect when transferring to BETA SP?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Squeezed or Letter box
on Nov 10, 2010 at 2:50:27 am

How are you outputting to Beta? Capture card or connecting camera to Beta deck.

Beta SP is 720 x 486.

720p is always widescreen you can't shoot squeezed.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jacob Ventura
on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:03:58 am

Yes you are right...so you recomend exporting uncompressed video from final cut pro in order to get a better image from the Beta SP?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 10, 2010 at 7:11:54 pm

[Jacob Ventura] "HPX170 and using the letterbox 720PN mode"

?? there is no such thing, 720p is only 16:9 square, do you mean 480 (there is no pN in SD).

Letterbox is a 4:3 image with the video scaled to fit. If you shoot SD as Squeeze you will have a full frame widescreen image. But that must be interrupted correcting by the display. A BetaSP does not know what is full WS vs Letterboxed. This is something that a DVD player can do but almost all SD broadcast is letterboxed.

By I would always shoot squeezed because you have normally letterbox when printing to tape without a loss in quality but if you want a 16:9 DVD you have to enlarge the letterbox it get rid of the bars.

Return to posts index

Jacob Ventura
on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:10:16 am

Thankx Michael. I am new at this. I learned something from you today. So, if it is going to BETA SP you recomend shooting 480?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 19, 2010 at 5:33:07 am

Personally unless you know there is no life on the footage I would shoot everything in HD. The output to SD. Most HD capture card with do the down convert as well as the letterboxing or cropping to give you full screen. But if you are wanting full screen 4:3 you have to frame with that in mind.

But your original post is so confusing, you are saying you shot 720p in squeeze, there is no such thing.

If you want it simple, and you don't want letterboxing you shot full frame not squeeze, 4:3 squeezed is the same as 4:3 anamorphic which is normally what you want for DVD production.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]