FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a new tripod...

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lesante Jr.
Need a new tripod...
on Nov 9, 2010 at 1:12:58 am

Any suggestions on which tripod would work best for me?

I have a Panasonic HPX 500 with a dual on board light, an Anton Bauer Hytron 140 battery and three wireless receivers. So it's pretty heavy.

And I also use a portable teleprompter on it sometimes.

Right now, my tripod only goes about 6 ft high but I would like one that can go higher, maybe one that pedestals.

And I'd like one that has lockable wheels for dolly shots.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Sam

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Need a new tripod...
on Nov 9, 2010 at 1:32:32 am

Dolly shots with tripods suck- get a dolly for that. Unless we're talking strictly flat studio floors- even then they still suck. Also what price are we talking?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:19:32 pm

[Sam Lesante Jr.] "ight now, my tripod only goes about 6 ft high but I would like one that can go higher"

That is very high for all that weight.

The only thing I can recommend is the Sachtler Hot Pod. The SOOM will NOT support the weight.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Nov 10, 2010 at 1:34:23 am

I have a very workable Sachtler Video 18 III tripod that is stamped "Made In West Germany." The point here being that a good quality tripod will FAR outlast whichever camera you are using. So don't cheap out.

Think of a tripod as 2 pieces -- head and legs. If you're on a budget, buy a top quality head and maybe some aluminum legs to support it. Aluminum is heavier than carbon fiber, but less expensive. It sill does a commendable job, and it's even better with heavy cameras, jib-arms, teleprompters, and the like. I'm not trying to steer you away from carbon fiber; I use carbon fiber tripod legs but have an aluminum set for my jib arm. With tripod heads, you really do get what you pay for. What you're wanting is something that's silky smooth, like a knife thru honey.

Try before you buy. Trade-shows, like NAB are great because all the manufacturers have their product lines there.

Be wary of anyone who says, my ______ is best -- most people are talking about their older sticks which may or may not have any bearing on what is currently available.

Having said all that, if you can pony up $5K, you won't be disappointed.

Return to posts index

Sam Lesante Jr.
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:45:13 pm

Awesome..thanks for the input..I'll do some research.

Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]