FORUMS: list search recent posts

repeated clip names - Panasonic any suggestions?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
repeated clip names - Panasonic any suggestions?
on Nov 5, 2010 at 6:32:32 pm

Though Panasonic says it rarely happens, I am importing clips from a month long 3 camera shoot in Africa (3 HPX 171's) and out of 4000 clips about 80 have the same clip name (assigned by the camera). This wreaked havoc on our Media Asset Management system and is time consuming identifying the clips and having to manually change the name. Is there any solution to this? Our Database uses that odd clip name to identify the clip though we go back then and catalog the footage later.

Dual 3 GHz Dual Core Intel, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.0.6), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: repeated clip names - Panasonic any suggestions?
on Nov 5, 2010 at 8:51:54 pm

I"m noticing that too. My solution is to, in FCP 7, make a custom clip name based on the REEL number, or CARD number. So CARD_0ne_001, Card_0ne_002, and so on. FCP remembers the metadata.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 5, 2010 at 8:55:47 pm

I've seen it too. Two cameras, same day, same shoot. Do you use MXF files natively or are you wrapping to QT?

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Nov 6, 2010 at 8:19:56 am

We have 4 edit stations and in 2 of them I can edit MXF natively using the MXF4Mac plug-in. However our organization also has recently invested in a complex MAM system for both production and conservation. Since we retain much of our raw footage the monkey wrench is especially in the main Database system when doing mass ingest. I hope Jan from Panasonc will chime in... It's a pretty serious problem that could make us gradually migrate away from P2.

Dual 3 GHz Dual Core Intel, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.0.6), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 6, 2010 at 2:00:45 pm

Hey Kim. Sorry Im not familiar, but what are you using for the MAM?

Now, you say 1/2 of your machines are using MXF4mac. Does that mean you log and transfer all of your material? Does your MAM keep track of both? Do you use metadata on P2 at all? Is the MAM only tracking UserClipName?

Even though MXF clips might have the same default user clip name, any decent media tracking system should also be able to look at more than that. For example, when I have dupe UserClipName clips on my system, P2 Flow is able to tell the difference of the clips via the GlobalClip ID of each clip. P2 Flow then sends that info to fcp as a reel name, along with a custom user clip name that I have set. Even if i don't set a custom name, FCP can still tell the difference due to the difference in GlobalClip ID in the reel.

So before you trash your whole system, let's start looking at how smart your MAM is and maybe we can tell it to stop being obvious and compare other assets besides to default file name. The P2 MXF system has many ways to deal with this, it's just a matter of harnessing the possibility.

So, if you don't mind, give me the entire run down of your workflow.

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Nov 6, 2010 at 3:00:40 pm

Thanks for your reply Jeremy. I'm not in the office again until Monday but I'll take a shot at an answer. Our organization is a non profit one and we keep much of our footage. We have a 60 TB disk that we use as a "temporary memory" until P2 clips can be cataloged an laid off to LTO for long term storage. Our MAM system software is made by a company called "Etere" which we went with since they are located here in Italy. The "archive" and "production" components of our shop are not fully integrated yet and oftentimes especially in the past, the final productions (news items or conferences) are already edited before the cataloging of the raw footage is finished. We usually get down to editing as soon as we're back in the office. So in a sense the clips we bring into FCP are straight off the disk used in the field (We use Shotput and HD LOG to do a rough shotlist on location and try as much as practically possible to take advantage of recording the metadata on the P2 clips (date and place) through the SD card. Our crew is small so though we know what an "ideal" way of doing things is somethimes we are wearing more than one hat on a given shoot. We use MXF4Mac and sometimes log and transfer - but the QT files are them deleted after the edit is finished and output. (Our Masters are output in IMX50 in MXF wrapper using MXF4mac GC output plug-in) The original P2 clips are dumped into the main database where they are properly cataloged and where we generate a Proxy for future consultation as well as the high quality clip which gets laid off to LTO. It's at this point that we run into the problems I was mentioning. We only realized recently the problem because we are finally archiving the stuff we have shot over the past year which has been sitting on disks while our MAM system was being installed and brought up to speed. I hope this explanation it's somewhat clear. Sometimes things are more confusing in writing than in a verbal conversation. I'll show your answer to our IT person on Monday. Thanks again for your time.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:24:44 pm

SO only when you archive and Proxy generation is this becoming a problem?

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Nov 8, 2010 at 8:34:45 pm

Yes Jeremy, precisely. The MAM program rejects the duplicates. Now, a co-worker of mine today found an automated way of adding another letter to each of the clips and that has solved the problem at least for those duplicated clips generated by different cameras. For example we add an "A" at the head of the Panasonic clip names generated from camera 1, a "B" on those coming from camera 2 and a "C" from camera 3. She found some freeware program that automates these changes. I can get you the name if your interested. Now the IT people have to add room for a 7th character in that field of the database because the programmers created the field with 6 spaces! We're getting there slowly but surely.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 8, 2010 at 8:46:33 pm

[Kim Rowley] "We're getting there slowly but surely."

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Also, have you used the XDcam system much? The P2 MXF system blows the doors off the XDCam system.

I just got handed a drive full of XDCam and all the clips on every single card are named the same. SO card 1 has clips C001-C###.

next card: C001-C###. I'm sure there might be ways to change it, but this is how it was handed to me.

Stick with P2.

Sounds like your MAM needs a bit of an update as well. There are so many ways to combine data fields. There's an angle field as well as UserClipName. If your MAM could steal that information, as well as the default MXF name, then dupes would become less of an issue in Proxy creation. P2 Flow allows easy metadata editing of P2 material, and you could even batch name an entire shoot if you wanted to.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:08:18 pm

No, I haven't used the XD Cam at all. Wow, what a nightmare! Hope you get your clips sorted out. I'll look into those cross field references for our database to see if that could be another possibile solution. Our MAM system also had a hard time dealing with the P2 file structure (audio and video separate) but we were able to overcome that hurdle. For metadata editing (of the P2 material) we have been using HDLog from Imagine Products. Actually we have used Imagine products since the first versions of WinTep came out way back when...But I do love the MXF4mac plug-ins though haven't used P2 Flow. Their import and export modules have become an integral part of our tapless workflow. Good luck with your current project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]