FORUMS: list search recent posts

fixing corrupt P2 footage?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Oberdick
fixing corrupt P2 footage?
on Nov 1, 2010 at 9:16:29 pm

Hi there, I am new to the forums (finally) and I have found many answers to my problems pertaining video through these boards for a while now. I finally have a question that I cannot find the exact answer to so I hope someone knows the answer to this.

Anyways, I shot a wedding video recently and after I logged and captured the footage off of the P2 into final cut, the footage seemed to be choppy and losing frames. We had to cameras and the one camera's footage is completely fine. We didnt change any settings when logging and capturing, and both cameras settings were identical. The only problem we believe it could be would be a corrupt P2 footage. Therefore, is there anyway to regain the quality of the footage? The footage is no longer on the P2 card, but is on my computer just sitting, waiting to be fixed. If anyone has a solution to my problem, I would be greatly appreciative.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: fixing corrupt P2 footage?
on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:28:16 am

Learning the correct P2 workflow is essential. As you can see, you've run into problems.

Without the unknowns, it is hard as hell to tell what you've done. I can guess and I'm pretty sure I know what you did but that's not gonna fix your problem.

Anyways, if you cloned your P2 cards, you may be in luck.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Aaron Oberdick
on Nov 2, 2010 at 4:56:11 am

Fortunately, they are not my P2 cards that I own. I just so happened to borrow the cards from the school I attend. I wiped the card clean before I used it (like we were taught) and then proceeded to use it. When I was in the log and transferring window, the footage looked completely fine when I viewed it. It seemed to be messing something up while log and transferring the footage. A few people suggested possible transferring options were changed, but we didn't change any options from both cards and only one of the card's footage is choppy. I informed the school and they later gave me the news that the card was corrupt. Unfortunately, by then, my footage was already gone.

I guess I am asking one of two things. Am I up a creek without a paddle with this footage or is there maybe software that could heal the footage and restore the lost frames? Thanks to anyone in advance.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 2, 2010 at 12:02:31 pm

When u say choppy, do you mean the playback? Is it possible you have the footage on a slow OS drive and not a dedicated media drive or raid?
Not trying to edit over a USB drive r u?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Marco Hyvarinën
on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:05:05 pm

Hi!

We have been encountering different problems with P2-material at my
company lately. Part of them have had to do with a simple a reason as
the length of the USB-cable from the card-reader...
It should not be any longer than the specifications for USB; 3 m
(that is 10´, I guess..)
Also the readers have been causing us trouble: if there´s a trouble
in the transferring processs, the original clips, on the card,
have somehow got corrupted! We´re still trying to find out the reason

Marco

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 3, 2010 at 12:44:10 am

Did you BACK UP the cards...the full original card structure...when you offloaded? or did you LOG AND TRANSFER and only keep the Quicktime files? I hope to heck it was the former, and NOT the latter.

You might think that the cameras were set up identical, but one might not be. And reimporting the footage, and UNCHECKING the REMOVE PULLDOWN in the L&T preferences, is one solution for this issue that fixes it for many many people. But if you imported the footage, and did NOT back up the cards, and all you have is this choppy footage, then you are SOL. Up the creek without a paddle.

THIS is the proper P2 workflow: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aaron Oberdick
on Nov 3, 2010 at 2:02:22 am

Chris, I am running it straight off of my hard drive on my computer. It plays any footage completely fine except this certain footage so that is not the case. Thanks for the advice though.

After reading your advice Shane, I believe I must cut my losses and accept that the footage is just ruined and there is nothing that I can do. I will take a look at the tutorial though for future reference. Thanks to everyone who offered help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]