FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Partial Span" i.e. Incomplete -- with only 1 P2 card??

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Herbst
"Partial Span" i.e. Incomplete -- with only 1 P2 card??
on Oct 31, 2010 at 5:36:43 pm

Tons of threads on spanning, but nothing quite on the money for me...

Two clips out of twelve give me the red exclamation point. I used only a single P2 card, so it's not an issue of putting in the "other" card to complete the files for importing. How can I have gotten a "partial span" with just one card? (I read that FCP7 calls an "Incomplete" file "partial span".)

I can view the files on the camera, I can view them in the Log and Transfer dialogue window. I can import and watch the first ten seconds using the trial version of Raylight, and I may fork over $150 to just buy the software and make my files useable. But I despise paying $150 when I don't think I did anything wrong (except use a P2 camera for this shoot!)

I recall someone had a solution, don't remember where I read it, but I used it myself once, that basically forces FCP to just import what it's got -- it was something as simple as an extra key stroke or something. Click, and it imports the half file, or whatever it can extract, and we're done! Anyone know anything about this?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: "Partial Span" i.e. Incomplete -- with only 1 P2 card??
on Oct 31, 2010 at 9:54:15 pm

Have you tried Fixing the clips in the camera? That helps sometimes. How is in the manual.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:16:01 pm

Was there footage left over on the card from before?

Return to posts index

Larry Herbst
Re: Partial spanning
on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:57:03 pm

I appreciate your thoughts -- I did try to repair the clips in camera, but that option was grayed out in the menu. And the card had indeed been wiped prior to the shoot, so no holdover files or footage there.

I WAS able to get the footage into my project (finally!) by doing two things. One, suggested in another thread here, was to create new folders for each clip that only had the media associated with that clip but retaining the overall file structure. (Inside the new folder was a copy of the Lastclip.txt and a Contents folder, and so on down the file structure, but the only actual media in there was for the one individual clip I was rescuing.) Second, I deselected the preference under Log and Transfer that says "Remove Advanced Pulldown and Duplicate Frames". I was then able to capture the troublesome footage. Why these particular shots needed this special treatment, I still have no idea.

I can't believe how difficult this was to accomplish. I nearly paid $150 for Raylight, just because the demo showed it would work and I wanted this problem FIXED. But I stuck at it another hour or so and cracked it. What a nightmare -- and again, I don't feel I did anything wrong in my acquisition. Which makes me even less happy with P2 shooting in the future. I am very leery about the format now.

But thanks again for giving it some thought.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 3, 2010 at 12:07:43 am

[Larry Herbst] " Second, I deselected the preference under Log and Transfer that says "Remove Advanced Pulldown and Duplicate Frames"."

That was going to be my next suggestion. That's probably the one that saved you.

Return to posts index

Larry Herbst
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:06:24 am

It didn't work on the "bad" files when they were part of the clone of the entire card. It only worked when they were duped into their own private folders. Little prima donnas.... :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:07:01 am

[Larry Herbst] "Little prima donnas.... :)"

Awesome. Thanks for a good laugh!

Return to posts index

Mark Ahn
on Mar 21, 2011 at 9:39:34 pm

Sort of a late reply on this post, but I had the EXACT same issue, and our resident troubleshooter had an idea that worked. All he did was export the troublesome clip from the P2 Content Management Software (came with the camera...or you can download it) and even tho' it simply exported, or I guess transferred/copied would be more accurate, a CONTENTS folder (with all the standard P2 specific directory structure), it seemed to have corrected what was wrong with the offending file. Weird. But it worked and it took very little effort.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]