FORUMS: list search recent posts

naive user: "Can't Access Target" - HPG10 to Firewire drive

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
naive user: "Can't Access Target" - HPG10 to Firewire drive
on Oct 31, 2010 at 1:12:28 am

I use P2 cards rarely, so I may be missing something.

I connected the HPG10 to a Firewire drive, allowed the HPG10 to "reformat" the drive, which seemed to happen instantly, saw the little white hard drive symbol which indicates a drive that is ready to use. (I'm following the manual as if my life depends on it.)

Then selected Slot 1, and copied to the Firewire drive (FW400). It copied (SLOWLY) about half the card, then gave a message "Can't Access Target."

Tried it again, same result; tried a different Firewire drive, same result. Now trying the second Firewire drive a second time, but I thought I might as well throw myself on the mercy.

As I say, I do this rarely, so am I making some gross error? I've looked on the COW at Shane's tutorial, but on his desktop, the P2 card is just sitting there. I'm trying to get to Step One. I also tried connecting the HPG10 directly to my MacBook, but it didn't show up at all.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
more about HPG10 - can't exit 1394 mode
on Oct 31, 2010 at 4:27:41 am

more details:

1. Although I am still getting the "Can't Access Target" message, there does seem to be material that has been transferred to the hard drive.
2. I would like to try a transfer via USB, but the HPG10 can't seem to exit 1394 mode. I'm following the manual religiously, trying every combination of disconnecting the Firewire, connecting the USB, etc., but I wind up with the words "1394 Host" on the HPG10, along with the "Setup" menu option, with everything else grayed out.

For #1, how can I verify that the media is transferred correctly? There appear to be 7 clips on the P2 card, and more than that on the hard drive.

For #2, is there a way to get out of "1394 Host" on the HPG10?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
footage was shot 24pn -how to deal when HPG10 sticks to firewire?
on Oct 31, 2010 at 4:53:35 am

I've been looking through this forum and discovering the unique difficulty of 24pn footage: if I understand correctly, it won't transfer via Firewire.

Unfortunately, the HPG10 I'm using seems to be stuck on 1394 mode. Does anybody know how to un-stick it? The manual does not envision that as a possibility.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
HPG10 - get back to USB mode?
on Oct 31, 2010 at 5:44:58 am

When I received the HPG10, I could access a basic menu that gave me the option of choosing USB or 1394.

Unfortunately, I chose 1394, and can't seem to get back to the basic operation menu with the USB/1394 choice, or re-initialize the device to the factory settings. I'm following the manual as closely as i know how.

Someone?

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
HPG10 is back in USB mode - verification necessary?
on Oct 31, 2010 at 12:33:49 pm

This may be a record number of threads by only one person, but anyway:

I turned the machine off and on (by power button and by disconnecting entirely from power) repeatedly last night, trying to exit 1394 Host mode.

I finally abandoned the effort, leaving the HPG10 unplugged for five hours. This morning, it allowed me to navigate to the basic operation menu and I was able to change to USB Host mode. It seems to be working now, although even after transferring the first card, I can't get it to go back to the Basic Operations Menu - perhaps have to depower it again?

1. Is it necessary to have the HPG10 verify? It seems to about double the transfer time, and I have 19 cards to transfer before the rental house gets its device and cards back tomorrow.
2. How do you check your footage? I plan to disconnect the HPG10 and the hard drive, connect the hard drive to my Mac Pro to make a backup copy of the files... then, what would be the fastest way to make sure the transfer is good? I imagine, just transfer into FCP.
3. I looked online for info about use of the AG-HPG10, but didn't find much. Is this device not used much? Even now, after it is apparently working, I can't seem to go back to menus that I used just an hour ago. (Perhaps I have to depower again?)
4. I am looking for my first tapeless camera, and this has made me very aware of the transfer process. I'm a one-man band when I shoot, which makes me very aware of the data wrangling aspect. If you had no investment in P2/Sony/Nano, which would you choose?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: HPG10 is back in USB mode - verification necessary?
on Nov 1, 2010 at 8:12:20 pm

What you want to do with the HPG10 is put it in USB Device mode (connect to your computer via USB). You will need to download the drivers from Panasonic's web site. This allows you to see the P2 cards loaded in the unit and offload them to a hard drive connected to your computer (FW800 or esata).

First you will never be able to transfer all 19 cards via host mode to 1 hard drive. It's just not possible.
Second, transferring via host mode is unsafe.

Buy ShotputPro and offload the cards.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 1, 2010 at 8:20:10 pm

[Steve Eisen] "Buy ShotputPro and offload the cards."

Please tell me more. I don't own a P2 camera or deck; I need to use some device to interpret the P2 card first. Are you saying to use ShotputPro along with the HPG10, or is there some reader that you're using?

btw - discovered that part of the trick with the HPG10 is to press and HOLD the menu button. It is a very tricky device to use. I put the material onto three different HDs.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 1, 2010 at 10:49:51 pm

The HPG10 isn't used much as P2 card reader. It was meant more for a playback unit. There are other alternatives from the single card PCD2 to the 5 card PCD20 and PCD35. With 19 cards, you are better off using the PCD20.

ShotPut Pro is highly recommended when offloading P2 cards. It verifies the data as it transfers so you know for sure that you are transferring bit per bit. Well worth the $99. Reshooting is a lot more expensive.

The P2 workflow is very easy if done correctly with the right equipment. If not done correctly, it can be very costly.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]