FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200 field audio question

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hunter
HVX200 field audio question
on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:12:35 pm

I've been shooting a lot of live music shows lately for a project. I've tried using just the camera's built-in shotgun mic as well as a Sennheiser shotgun (used in conjunction). I keep the audio levels way down, and have the mic settings in the menu set to -60db?

My problem is.......there is a continuous popping of distortion (especially when I'm close to the stage/speakers). Is this just the way it is, even if the levels are way below clipping levels? Are there any other menu settings within the camera that I can try?

J O H N H U N T E R
Editor/DP
john.hunter@Luckie.com

L U C K I E & C O M P A N Y
600 Luckie Drive
Birmingham, AL 35223
(o) 205.877.9871

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: HVX200 field audio question
on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:28:47 pm

I get the audio signal directly from the mixer when I can, but if you are on the move and cables are not an option, you can place a wireless mic in front of the speakers.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

John Hunter
on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:50:48 pm

yeah, it's definitely a run & gun type of project. Trying to capture guitarists from different bands playing a special guitar on stage. Never exactly sure which song during the set they're going to play it, so I have to be waiting out front with the camera ready to shoot. It's usually in amphitheater/concert hall settings. I'm also dealing with tight security because I'm usually only cleared to shoot during the song(s) they play the guitar in.

J O H N H U N T E R
Editor/DP
john.hunter@Luckie.com

600 Luckie Drive
Birmingham, AL 35223
(o) 205.877.9871

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:27:44 pm

If the sound is really important then you should get a sound guy. Maybe someone pointing a shotgun to the speakers and adjusting the levels in a pre before you get the signal to your cam.

Some handy-cams have an auto adjustable level for the sound. If you have one of those, get a friend to get the piece in a stable position while you record the main footage.

I know you were asking for a single button solution, but good sound almost always require a little extra investment both in hardware and personnel. Auto adjustable sound level doesn't come but in cheap cameras and there's a reason for that, it doesn't always sound good. Convince of that to the people that hired you.

I hope this helps

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:38:12 pm

I would ask the bands sound guy to record the concert to a CD. Make sure you give the guy a little cash for his trouble.

Return to posts index

John Hunter
on Oct 26, 2010 at 2:55:54 pm

Yeah, that's definitely the best option. I've contacted a few of the "tapers" as well for a good live recording.

J O H N H U N T E R
Editor/DP
john.hunter@Luckie.com

600 Luckie Drive
Birmingham, AL 35223
(o) 205.877.9871

Return to posts index

John Hunter
on Oct 26, 2010 at 2:54:23 pm

yeah, the sound is not a make or break part of this (although I'm sure it sounds like it probably should be!), but it's not really in the budget to hire someone. I was just wondering what preliminary steps i could take in the camera's menu settings to minimize distortion. I may also need to have the mic checked to see if its been damaged at some point.

thanks for your suggestions!

J O H N H U N T E R
Editor/DP
john.hunter@Luckie.com

600 Luckie Drive
Birmingham, AL 35223
(o) 205.877.9871

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:32:08 pm

The camera has a limiter on the mic/line in, this will keep the audio from peaking into the camera, but it the mic.

One thing I always do when I'm only using a single external mic is to use channel 2. Set the camera so that mic channel 2 goes to record channel 1 and 2. Then I set 1 to where I think is best, then turn channel 2 down at least 6dB. This gives you a safety buffer. If you have extremes turn it down 12dB.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 26, 2010 at 1:58:03 am

You can always attach an attenuator.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

John Hunter
on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:02:47 pm

Interesting. I saw the AT8202 (Audio Technica) that provides -10dB, -20dB or -30dB attenuation. Is this at all what the -50dB and -60dB settings in the HVX menu are doing? I usually have mine set to -60dB. Would the attenuator simply be adding more?

J O H N H U N T E R
Editor/DP
john.hunter@Luckie.com

600 Luckie Drive
Birmingham, AL 35223
(o) 205.877.9871

Return to posts index

David Coleman
on Nov 2, 2010 at 6:50:01 pm

If the sound is loud enough, it will overdrive the mic capsule. Then it doesn't matter how low you turn it down. If you can't connect a wireless mic to the soundboard the CD is the way to go. Come to think of it, I think I'd prefer it anyway so you get all the music whether you're rolling camera or not.

HPX2000, HVX200

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]