FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good solid state portable recorder for hpx170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Gonzales
Good solid state portable recorder for hpx170
on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:17:36 am

Hi:

I've got a shoot coming up that will require a ton of recording time per day. We are going to shoot on the HPX170 in 720 24pn. Instead of buying more P2 cards, is there a good solid state recorder out there with good battery life for this camera? I've been looking at the Maxell iVDR VC102. It seems pretty solid but you only get 90minutes of battery life. Need a lot more than that for the day.

Any suggestions. (and no... I will not record to HDV :)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Good solid state portable recorder for hpx170
on Oct 25, 2010 at 4:56:09 am

You are going to have an issue with battery on anything you use. If you are shooting all day you need AC power to a bunch of batteries but most things will need to be powered down for a battery swap.

Also 24pN will not work with FireWire out. You have to shoot 24p (over 60). A FireStore can remove the pulldown while it records to give you the longer record times.

How long do you need to record? Under want power conditions? Will you be able to stop the record? all this info is need to give you educated advice.

Return to posts index

Kevin Gonzales
on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:11:44 am

Thanks for getting back to me. We are going to be in China filming an all day workshop. We might have the possibility to plug in but not sure as of yet, plus have to deal with the power conversion issue.

I checked out this puppy

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/635400-REG/Nexto_DI_NVS2500500_Nexto_...

and it runs on two AA which is good. It's an off loader and not a recorder but has good features. Will the Firestore work on the HPX??

Kevin Gonzales
http://www.12point.net

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:16:09 pm

Use 64GB P2 cards and you can shoot all day and night using 720/24pn. Your only other safe alternative is the AJA KiPro or KiPro Mini.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:24:15 pm

The nexto needs an adaptor to use P2 Cards.
Yes, you can hook up the FireStore to the 170.

Get the $350. P2 adaptor and plug it into a MacBook Pro and off load cards on site - tell em You NEED power.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Oct 25, 2010 at 2:04:24 pm

Each 64GB P2 card gives you 168 minutes of recording at 720 24pN. If you are too busy to download while shooting, two 64GB P2 cards is giving you 5.6 hours of storage. If you had three of them, you could shoot for longer than an eight hour day.

I would purchase three or four 64 GB cards per camera or rent them if you cannot afford to buy them over using some outboard recorder. Outboard recorders are much less reliable, require extra power and are generally a PITA.

Simple solution. Almost all of this video gear works fine on 220/240 50MHz power, you just buy some plug adapters.

Dan

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 25, 2010 at 4:54:27 pm

Yeah, shooting on P2 cards also gives you one less thing to worry about power. But you will have to have power for your laptop to off load that many GB from cards. (2) 64GB E-series cards should be under 2K and you can rent them for about $200/wk. Those and a handful of camera batteries gets you through the day with the least amount of gear, least amount of power.

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Oct 26, 2010 at 12:27:00 am

While many users have had fine luck recording into their laptops with FCP or On Location or using a Focus Enhancements recorder, in the heat of production, especially long form event in a foreign country, you would be doing yourself a favor to take Michael's advice, less hassle, fewer pieces of gear to go wrong, lower power requirements.

I have never trusted my work to recording to a laptop. I was one of the first to Beta test Focus' first recorder for the HVX200 and I didn't trust it then and I still don't trust it for MY applications. P2 cards have never let me down, they are relatively bulletproof.

Dan

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 26, 2010 at 1:47:13 am

I agree, after many years of shooting DV, tape plus Firestore, it was hard for me to fit into new P2 workflow of just recording to one media (P2 card), without back up.
I liked that simultaneous recording to both plus easy access to your footage (no digitising

Slowly I'm getting more confident.

Firestore, although very handy and very reliable in 90% of situations
(10% margin for error in our business is pretty high) it is not bullet proof.

From my perspective, it'd be much smarter to spend extra money on back up camera (and some extra cards), in case... you never know... so far from your base in a place you are not familiar with...

http://www.digitalvideovault.com.au

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 26, 2010 at 10:27:20 am

I've used the FS100 on shoots where it has screwed up a clip.
Personally, I'm Never using the FS again.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Oct 26, 2010 at 6:13:48 pm

I'm writing a review of the Nexto Video Storage 2500 *and* the new Panasonic MSU10. Both of these will solve your issue, if you don't want to invest in new cards (those 64s *do* go a long way....I have 5 myself, but the Nexto and especially the Panasonic can keep you shooting forever, virtually.

Anyway, the review should up in late this week, or early next.

-H

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 27, 2010 at 2:40:58 pm

If there's anything that China has, it's power, unless you're in the middle of nowhere.

We've been there a small handful of times, and power hasn't been an issue accept the times we were in the middle of a rice field during harvest season.

All of your panasonic gear is autoswitching meaning all you have to do is buy he cheap plug adaptors. My favorite thing to do is buy a universal power strip in country. That way you have one power strip that has the proper plug at the end of it (and is fused correctly for 220) and then you can plug your US plugs in to the power strip since the receiving plugs are universal. In china, the powerstrips are really cheap. Get a couple of them.

Are you bringing any lighting? If so, what?

Oh, and more p2 cards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]