FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 workflow of footage shot in Africa using external hard drives

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Shellhorse
P2 workflow of footage shot in Africa using external hard drives
on Oct 14, 2010 at 5:37:56 pm

I'm the media manager for global charity called Mercy Ships.
We provide free surgeries to the poor in West Africa.
I tell you this to explain our situation. Ninety percent or more of our footage is shot in Africa which we send back to our International office in Texas.

We are in the process of creating a tapeless HD workflow using a HVX 200 with P2 cards then adding metadata ad transferring footage to Lacie 1 TB hard drives to be sent back to Texas.

From there, ingest footage through Final Cut into Final Cut Server on our local SAN for two editors to work on projects.

My questions are - Are we thinking correctly with this workflow? Are there any pitfalls that we might want to watch out for?

Return to posts index

Jay Dobek
Re: P2 workflow of footage shot in Africa using external hard drives
on Oct 15, 2010 at 1:43:20 am

Hi Scott - As long as you keep the Lacie drives as your back up you should be OK. Some people will store the raw media on two drives just in case one fails.

I have not had a lot of luck with Lacie - I use OWC drives. I'm sure you'll find opinions that counter mine.

Return to posts index

Scott Shellhorse
on Oct 22, 2010 at 7:44:20 pm

Really, only using the LaCie drives to transport footage files from Africa to Texas. Once here we will download everything and add to our Final Cut Server somehow. Wipe the drives and send them back.
Right now we are doing it with miniDV tape. I'm trying to get us to the point of shooting DVCPRO HD with an HVX-200.

Return to posts index

Craig Umanoff
on Oct 28, 2010 at 5:56:06 pm

I haven't had personal experience with Lacie drives for years, but the scuttlebutt, among Avid editors, is that they're not so trustworthy. Why not use Seagates in eSata enclosures? Also, without 2 backups you'll eventually lose footage since all drives fail at some point. Can you afford that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]