FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 (DVCProHD)

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
P2 (DVCProHD)
on Oct 14, 2010 at 3:47:58 pm

I need help with a post production workflow. I'm not in the same area as the client so we have to mail files back and forth. We are shooting a documentary on HVXs. He has older versions of FCP 4.5 and 5 (he is on non-Intel macs)

At first he was just asking for screens and I was making small downloadable videos of all the clips with TC burnt-in. He just asked what setting does he use in FCP. We have been talking about paper edits up until this point.

I have mxf4mac (but not install yet). So the question is what would you recommend me sending him. I can send the DVCProHD files but he also wants to give the files to someone to transcode them and I'm sure they will not have FCP so they would not be able to play those files. (He also does not want to buy any software or codecs)

Would converting the files to DV anamorphic 23.98 be the best idea. Thinking that way we can exchange xml or edl files and just point to the files. Or will the different standards HD vs SD be an issue?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: P2 (DVCProHD)
on Oct 14, 2010 at 4:01:47 pm

Depends on how much resizing and visual effects there will be. If it's mostly straight ahead cuts then doing a DV offline is not a big deal. It will be a huger headache if there is a work that needs to be scaled up by hand. I'd recommend the client it's time to update. Non-Intel Macs are now what 5 years old? Penny wise and pound foolish, blah blah.

Surely that's worth the days and days of lost time and your overtime- charging by the hour, yes?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: P2 (DVCProHD)
on Oct 14, 2010 at 4:10:31 pm

There should be no resizing and effects on his end and very little in final edit on my end. So would using one of the RT codec be better?

[Noah Kadner] "Penny wise and pound foolish, blah blah. "
Foolishness abounds!

Unfortunately this is a project that we are all working on for a piece of the pie. It is a new direction in my career so I need the Producer credit so all the BS is worth it to me (at least at the start ;-), check back in 6 months.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]