FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transfer Speeds P2 Cards

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tompkins
Transfer Speeds P2 Cards
on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:43:30 pm

I can't believe the slow transfer speeds I'm getting with P2 off the cam.
MBP - SL
Plug the 170 into comp via FW 400 to 800 cable.
The SATA adapter Sonnet out to SATA drive.

Just did a P2 transfer of:
29.3 GB and it took 90 min.

I have also hooked up the cam by USB cable and gone out to a FW drive and it's somewhat better I think.

I have tried FW cable to cam and USB cable to Ext. Drive.
OWC Mercury Elite 2 TB -takes FW 800/400/SATA/USB
Drives emty.

What is the best way to improve this?
This dragin files all nite has got to stop.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Transfer Speeds P2 Cards
on Sep 24, 2010 at 10:01:23 pm

You are talking about COPYing the card to the hard drive and not doing a Log and Transfer, right?

You shouldn't be getting much more than 1.5 min /1GB. If you are hooking up the camera this doesn't really matter how the drive is connected, since that slows down the chain.

Return to posts index

Kurt Schultz
on Sep 25, 2010 at 1:03:07 am

I have installed a card reader in the PC and it takes 10 minutes to copy a 30 gig card

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Sep 25, 2010 at 1:16:47 am

A few options:

1) Get the PCD2 USB2 card reader.
It's about $300. Here are some times I got recently when xfering a 32GB card (full) on a MBP:
Macbook Pro to internal 5400 rpm drive: 35:14
Macbook Pro to external 5400 rpm FireWire 800 hard drive: 22:49
See my review on this site for more.

2) For in the field, invest in the MSU10, which is shipping within a month. It takes 1 card at a time, and xfers a card to an internal but removable SSD. Cost will probably be around $2500-$3000 but there are no moving parts so you can have it xfering while you move from one location to another, the battery life should be good, and you can hold the thing in one hand, and easily pack it for a trip.

3) Invest in a fast 5 card reader like the Panasonic PCD35 (about $2100). When connected to a fast desktop and raid, it can copy a full 64GB card in 10 minutes.

Your current setup is pretty complicated, and why would you want to tie up your camera and its battery for doing file transfers to a laptop?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Sep 25, 2010 at 10:53:19 am

I have installed a card reader in the PC and it takes 10 minutes to copy a 30 gig card

What is this? U talking Windows Comp? What card reader?

I'm thinking about that USB reader for $300 bucks. Yes, I hook up the cam. I don't need to transfer while still shooting very often. So hooking up the cam to transfer data off the cards via the P2CMS software is what I do.

I was unaware the cam was the slowest link.
If I could transfer a 32GB card in under 30 Min. I would be thrilled!
Thanks!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:20:37 am

Even with the camera hooked up to a camera, FW800 drive You should be able to offload a full 32GB in about 35-40 minutes. I normally just do a Finder copy and then verify data size and look at the clips in P2CMS plus open up the folder in FCP Log and Transfer.

With the Duel Adapter I can get 2x download speeds, but support ends at Leopard and it is not the most reliable piece of equipment, but the price was good. (you also need a express34 slots of course.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Sep 27, 2010 at 11:42:11 am

I was doing firewire from camera and to a firewire drive. The MBP only has one FW800 port. The trans times are deathly slow. A little over an hour for a 32GB card. Seemed like having 2 devices on the FW bus was slowing it down more...
The desktop does better w/ trans times.
This is what I find anyway.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]