FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compositing HD & 2K Footage

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt kresling
Compositing HD & 2K Footage
on Sep 20, 2010 at 11:52:05 pm

I'm going to do some background replacements for footage shot in 2K on a RED. Unfortunately, I don't have a RED to shoot the backgrounds, only my trusty HVX 200. Anyone have any experience combining 1080 HVX footage with 2K RED footage? I understand that, given how much of the 2K image is ultimately cropped, there's only a 6% relative difference in size, but will it show?

Ideally the company will allow me to work in full HD rather than 2K, but I'm just curious if I'm going to sit down to do the compositing and think, 'Man, this stuff doesn't match.'

If you think I shouldn't shoot the backgrounds on an HVX 200, what camera would you recommend?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Matt
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 800 MHz RAM
After Effects CS5

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Compositing HD & 2K Footage
on Sep 20, 2010 at 11:55:43 pm

Hard to say without seeing the shots. Most folks will shoot a series of stills with a DSLR and stitch together a huge image for backgrounds in 2K plates. But maybe that's not practical in your situation. Personally I'd check in carefully with the producers and make them understand what's at stake- i.e. the VFX you can produce by compositing HVX200 backgrounds with RED foregrounds will not be ideal image quality--- if they care. Some producers would, some couldn't care less.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

matt kresling
Re: Compositing HD & 2K Footage
on Sep 21, 2010 at 12:01:41 am

If I ask them, they will almost certainly say, 'We want the highest possible image quality.' If I show them a finished HVX/RED composite, on the other hand, I'm wondering if they will see a problem? Or, more importantly, if I will.

Yes, I've been thinking about stitching together background stills, then maybe compositing a little HVX footage in places to get some motion.

Thanks for the quick response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]