FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX170P to MacBook Pro Firewire cable

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elena Solovieva
HPX170P to MacBook Pro Firewire cable
on Sep 16, 2010 at 10:53:56 pm

Hi,

I am a newbie and am looking for some help! I have a HPX 170 camera with 2 P2 cards and I want to buy a firewire cable to transfer footage to MacBook Pro. I will be using Final Cut Pro for editing. I would rather use firewire cable than a card reader since it's less bulky for travel and less $$.

So, I am wondering which one to buy? And what is my best workflow setup? I.e., import directly into Final Cut Pro?

Ideally, I would like to transfer content from P2 cards to external hard drive (perhaps you could recommend one to get? heard LaCie is good?), and then use Final Cut Pro to edit. I am shooting very short interviews (3-5 mins) so transfer time is not a big issue, but I will have a lot of those so space is.

Thank you so much for your help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HPX170P to MacBook Pro Firewire cable
on Sep 16, 2010 at 11:18:37 pm

[Elena Solovieva] " I would rather use firewire cable than a card reader since it's less bulky for travel and less $$."

Bear in mind that when you do this that your camera is out of commission while you offload. Meaning you can't continue shooting while you offload. Just FYI.

[Elena Solovieva] "So, I am wondering which one to buy?"

6-pin to 6-pin...unless your laptop only has FW800, in which case 6-pin to 9-pin.

[Elena Solovieva] " And what is my best workflow setup? I.e., import directly into Final Cut Pro? "

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONONNONO!! Back up the card...the FULL CARD. You must watch this tutorial:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

You need two sets of drives...one for backup of the cards, one for storing the media. LaCie might be good for the Media drives, but also look at iStoragePro, CalDigit, G-Tech. As for backup drives, you can get cheaper USB drives for this, or what I do, get bare SATA drives (drives not in enclosures), then a SATA drive dock...like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=...

But watch the tutorial before you do anything.

[Elena Solovieva] "Ideally, I would like to transfer content from P2 cards to external hard drive (perhaps you could recommend one to get? heard LaCie is good?)"

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: HPX170P to MacBook Pro Firewire cable
on Sep 17, 2010 at 12:37:47 am

Elena, You can also offload your P2 cards via USB.

Like Shane says, this puts your camera out commission.

If you are serious about working in the industry, I would recommend the PCD2 card reader. The PCD2 is perfect for travel.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]