FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Field Storage Options

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Sonnenfeld
P2 Field Storage Options
on Sep 5, 2010 at 9:14:23 pm

Hello Fellow Cow Users,

So I am looking for a low cost way to store my P2 information in the field and also some editing. I have a MacBook Pro and the CalDigit eSATA ExpressCard. Currently I am looking at the G-RAID mini 500GB/7200rpm. Has anyone here used this before? Feelings? I've found some mixed reviews online but The Cow has never steered me wrong before so I was hoping to get some advice from the people here. I found one thing online about G-Tech stopping to support that particular model which seemed a bit disturbing to me (I posted on the G-Tech forum about this question specifically and I'm waiting for a response).

I love my CalDigit VR and if I had the coin, I would be going for the VR mini, but it's just too expensive for me right now.

I'm pretty open to any suggestions (not just G-Tech and CalDigit), so lay them on me please!

Thanks for everything!
Matt

Panasonic HPX170 P
2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Arthur Aldrich
Re: P2 Field Storage Options
on Sep 5, 2010 at 9:21:15 pm

If you use something like ShotPut Pro, you can use inexpensive USB drives, and make up copies on multiple drives at the same time.

The VR mini rocks, but SPP takes the need for raid out of the equation for many uses.

-
Art Aldrich
OTEK TV
Leader, NJFCPUG
http://www.njfcpug.org
http://www.otek.tv

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Sep 5, 2010 at 9:36:39 pm

Thank you Arthur for your suggestions. I had never thought about using SPP. I think though that since I would be having to spend the money on SPP to start and then still have to get a drive or two, I won't gain anything over cost efficiency. The G-RAID mini is still less than $200. I do like how SPP is extremely good at verification though. Makes it nice. I haven't had many issues with P2CMS though. Have you ever used the G-RAID or have you heard anything about them?

Panasonic HPX170 P
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 6, 2010 at 4:11:56 am

I will second, third and fourth Shot Put Pro. DO NOT be cheap. Think productivity and protection. OWC mercury on-the-go drives are a less expensive alternative if you are so concerned about price.

G-RAID mini is extremely reliable and support is excellent.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 6, 2010 at 6:24:03 am

Adding my voice to the mix. ShotPut Pro is ESSENTIAL. It is like trying to build a house without a hammer. This is the ONLY way that you can really be sure that your P2 offload has been done properly. Validation is pretty important. What is more expensive...ShotPut Pro, or the need to reshoot because footage was missed during the offload process?

And you can get the G-DRive mini...that is a staple in my pack. But I also have a VR mini and an iStoragePro Pocket II. I recommend all. As well as a LaCie Rugged drive. But I do what Art does...get two inexpensive USB drives (or FW drives) and have SPP offload to both at the same time.

These drives are your master tapes. Do you go out and buy cheap tapes when you shoot to tape? HARDLY!

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Sep 7, 2010 at 3:39:02 am

Thank you everyone for your advice!

Since I will be needing to do some editing with this drive as well as field dumping, I decided to go ahead with the G-RAID mini and I will keep it in RAID 1. I will also be getting ShotPut Pro and a couple USB drives as soon as I can for straight offloads and back up.

Thanks again!
Matt

Panasonic HPX170 P
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]