FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 recording in 5 min chunks & P2CMS playback

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Davis
P2 recording in 5 min chunks & P2CMS playback
on Sep 3, 2010 at 8:53:58 pm

So I've watched Shawn's workflow videos and they have been quite helpful. Thanks Shawn. I'm just getting into the swing of things here. I work for a church and we are live mixing 3 cameras and recording to the Panasonic AG-HPG20. Signal passes from the Echolab Atem adding audio into the stream with an AJA FS1, into the recorder. I'm using P2CMS to ingest the media off the cards using the recorder's USB Device mode. The video is coming in in 5 minute chunks and I'm not sure why. Also, I'm at a loss of how to get them sorted in the log and transfer window of FCP. Secondarily, I'm trying to figure out how to view them in P2CMS. I can hear the audio, the thumbnails look fine, but when I open them to view, its just a black screen. I though I had all the drivers and such in place but apparently I'm missing something.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 recording in 5 min chunks & P2CMS playback
on Sep 3, 2010 at 10:48:35 pm

[Jonathan Davis] "The video is coming in in 5 minute chunks and I'm not sure why."

P2 cards are formatted with a type of FAT32 format. That format has a 4GB limit...and at 1080i60, that's 5 min per file. BUT, these files are linked, so that when you import using LOG AND TRANSFER, they will come in as one file.

[Jonathan Davis] ". Also, I'm at a loss of how to get them sorted in the log and transfer window of FCP"

Sorted how? They show up with unique numbers...0001GH...0002YT. But the first 3 digits are in numerical order...always. That is the order they are in. PLUS, there is the source timecode that will keep them. Just import, then rename. Or if you know it is all one take, name the first clip.

[Jonathan Davis] "Secondarily, I'm trying to figure out how to view them in P2CMS. I can hear the audio, the thumbnails look fine, but when I open them to view, its just a black screen."

I don't like P2CMS...too clunky.

Oh, and my name is SHANE, not Shawn. Close...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jonathan Davis
on Sep 16, 2010 at 8:31:29 pm

Thanks Shane,

So if P2CMS is clunky, and ingesting everything when there isn't a specific project for it at the time is less than ideal, is physically copying the folders a good option still? I've been told to leave things alone and only make images of the cards or something.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 16, 2010 at 11:06:14 pm

[Jonathan Davis] "is physically copying the folders a good option still?"

Yes...absolutely. Copying the FULL card to a folder is pretty much essential. Name the folder the date and location to help track what the footage is. And if you only use some footage for one project and some for another, import only what clips you want for both. But full card backup is essential.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jonathan Davis
on Sep 16, 2010 at 11:16:15 pm

So if dragging and dropping is an acceptable practice what are all the problems that folks are talking about from doing that?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 16, 2010 at 11:20:47 pm

Dragging and dropping has issues. You might NOT get everything...the copy process might not bring over all the files. Never happened to me, but I have seen it happen to many many others on these forums, all over the world. Which is why i HIGHLY recommend ShotPut Pro from http://www.imagineproducts.com. It verifies that all the data gets transferred. And the small amount it cost is worth the piece of mind you get.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]