FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX 502 with KJ21ex7.6B Chromatica aberration problems

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jarrod Boord
HPX 502 with KJ21ex7.6B Chromatica aberration problems
on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:37:16 pm

Hi,
I am having issues with this camera and lens. Getting a lot of chromatic aberrations. Wondering if anyone else has had these problems. I don't think its an acceptable image for such an expensive setup, especially since the lens has CAC!
Comments?

Return to posts index

Arthur Aldrich
Re: HPX 502 with KJ21ex7.6B Chromatica aberration problems
on Aug 30, 2010 at 4:26:09 pm

Check to make sure the proper CAC file is loaded into the camera. There is a menu for lens setup to verify.

If the lens file is not loaded into the camera, check the Panasonic web site and download the appropriate file to an SD card, and load into the camera.

-
Art Aldrich
OTEK TV
Leader, NJFCPUG
http://www.njfcpug.org
http://www.otek.tv

Return to posts index

Jarrod Boord
on Aug 30, 2010 at 10:21:12 pm

Thanks for the response.
This lens is a standard lens that does not require any additional CAC software. CAC is running, (Hold disp/mode chk) and it says CAC. I was told by the sales rep that CAC only works on the 3 and 9 o'clock sides of the image, (hence the aberrations occurring at 6 o'clock. I am trying to work out if there is something wrong with this lens or is this normal? I would hope that its not normal for such an expensive lens.

Return to posts index

Arthur Aldrich
on Aug 30, 2010 at 11:17:16 pm

The CAC file still needs to be selected in the lens menu. The camera ships with a number of pre-loaded choices.

Make sure the appropriate file is loaded.

If so, then contact Panasonic Service.

-
Art Aldrich
OTEK TV
Leader, NJFCPUG
http://www.njfcpug.org
http://www.otek.tv

Return to posts index

Jarrod Boord
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:01:24 am

Thanks Art.
I have looked into the menu and it seems that you are correct. Although it says the CAC is functioning it was set to the KJ17ex not the KJ21. hard to tell on that menu though, once selected it just reads "------" Hopefully this helps.

Return to posts index

Jarrod Boord
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:24:27 am

No. No difference. Contacted Canon and Panasonic and they claim that this is normal for this lens. "Canon and Panasonic and feel as the Panasonic 502 only compensates for colour fringing horizontally that under certain conditions that this is what we would expect to see."
So, essentially what they are saying is, don't shoot on overcast days or low light with this $20k+ lens or you will have terrible footage.
Great. Glad I got my iPhone 4 last week, it shoots great footage. At least I have not seen any chromatic aberrations yet... :P

To it's credit, this lens is a very nice lens and generally I am quite happy with it. It just really struggles at full zoom and the 2x extender degrades the image so much its not worth using.

They have offered to look at the lens though. So, I will send it off.
Thanks for the feedback Art.

Return to posts index

Jarrod Boord
Re: HPX 502 with KJ21ex7.6B IRSD Chromatic aberration problems
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:32:10 am

Correction... it was set to correct file. To see which one its set to go to CAC property and at the top of the screen it says "Active CAC file No:2" For the default lenses (ie- this one) you cannot set another CAC file, it defaults to the correct lens.

Return to posts index

Jarrod Boord
on Aug 30, 2010 at 11:00:29 pm

I should also add that the preview image above is a cropped image of the problem area.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]