FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX time lapse

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cumella
HVX time lapse
on Aug 23, 2010 at 11:27:38 am

I am getting ready to shoot a time lapse of a store being built over 10 days using my HVX200 camera. It will be in a fixed position via a mount and I will take the camera each day to download the material off the P2 card.

I am planning on shooting 720X960 but not sure what frame rate I should use. I plan on setting the camera to shoot one frame every minute.

Any thoughts, ideas or feedback on this process would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HVX time lapse
on Aug 23, 2010 at 3:34:31 pm

Depends what frame rate you want to play it at. Will it be a 24p final version or a 60p final? Also have you considered a DSLR camera instead? You'll get much better resolution and can do longer and sharper exposures that you can post zoom in on etc. Also power will be easier to deal with with a still camera. But that's just me...

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-i-made-a-time-lapse-movie-with-my...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Michael Cumella
on Aug 24, 2010 at 12:48:11 pm

Hey Noah,

I know a DSLR would be a good option but I own the HVX-200 and a wide angle lens and don't want to purchase additional equip for this gig.

This will be for web use but the client want an HD copy too.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 23, 2010 at 5:18:44 pm

Careful removing and replacing the camera, if the camera is not in the exact position you get a jarring change in the video. So remove the P2 cards but not the camera.

Time-lapse looks great if you speed it up so it is better to have longer (slower) time-lapse then you need.

[Michael Cumella] "I plan on setting the camera to shoot one frame every minute."
That will give you 25 secs of final video on a 10 hour day at 24fps or 10 seconds of video if you use 60fps. How long to you want the final movie to be, how many hours a day are you recording. Personally I would shoot more frames per second, a lot more frames.

Return to posts index

Michael Cumella
on Aug 24, 2010 at 12:50:47 pm

I don't want to leave the camera there at night and must start and stop it each morning so I will be removing the camera. I am planning on having the contractor mount the shoe from my tripod for this gig so therefore it will slide right into the exact same position each morning.

Any feelings on frame rate?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:06:51 pm

Yeah but that means you have to mount the tripod in the exact some position- pan,tilt, etc every morning. A simply little outdoor mounted case would be a simpler option.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 25, 2010 at 4:02:38 am

for my sill camera time lapse I'm normally shooting a frame every 2-5 seconds. Then if I want it faster I can easily do that in FCP (or whatever editing software).

The question is how long do you what your movie to be, how long will you record each day?

Return to posts index

Michael Cumella
on Aug 25, 2010 at 4:22:37 am

I will be shooting over about 10 days, 8-10 hours per day. I want the final to be about a minute and a half.

You bring up a good point. Will it look better if I shoot more frames and speedup the time lapse recording in FCP?

Return to posts index

James Hilton
on Aug 25, 2010 at 12:27:00 pm

How long do you want the final sequence to be. If it is 60s, then you need 60 * 24 = 1440 frames. Over 100 hours that comes out at 14 an hour at an absolute minimum.

Talking from experience, more is better as it gives you more options when editing. For example you can merge frames, or decimate frames as needed.

There are three types of time-lapse motion blur, stuttered, normal or maximum blur. I doubt you will be able to keep the shutter speed at 50% or more of the shutter interval, so you may end up with some form of stuttered movement if there is lots of continuous movement going on in the shot.

I dislike speeding up footage in FCP etc when you have duration of more than 1s between frames as you can often end up with a single frame with an object that is moving fast appearing in several areas with some blur between where individual frames have been merged. Having said that it can produce an interesting effect when the time is right, so I never write off the idea of doing it.

My advice would be try 1 frame every 5s as a starting point. How are you going to handle exposure, is lighting going to remain fairly constant as ideally you want to lock the exposure? Make sure you have colour balance on manual.

My worry would be keeping the camera in a constant position each day, with no movement and getting the right compromise for the exposure. Fame rate would be the least of my worries to be honest.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]