FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grey blocks in 'Log and Transfer' and 'Export using Quicktime Conversion'

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lyle Aspinall
Grey blocks in 'Log and Transfer' and 'Export using Quicktime Conversion'
on Aug 22, 2010 at 6:34:13 am

I'm using an HVX200, shooting to a P2. I'm editing in Final Cut Pro on a MacBook Pro.

If I shoot anything above 480i, I get seven grey blocks (three on each side and one in the middle) in my footage in the viewer in Log and Transfer and, ultimately, when I Export using QuickTime Conversion. But the blocks don't show up in the FCP timeline. The blocks also don't show up when viewing the clips in-camera, but they DO show up when viewing them via P2CMS.

Furthermore, the blocks don't show up when exporting a full self-contained QuickTime, but if I try compressing that resulting file, even in QuickTime and fully away from FCP, the blocks show up again. That alone makes me wonder if it's a QuickTime issue.

Here's a summary…
GREY BLOCKS DO SHOW UP:
- in viewer in Log and Transfer
- in final video when using Export using QuickTime Conversion
- in P2CMS viewer
- when using QuickTime 7 Pro to convert a clean, full self-contained QuickTime file that was built from the affected clips in FCP

GREY BLOCKS DON'T SHOW UP:
- in the FCP timeline viewer
- when viewed in-camera
- when video is exported as a full self-contained QuickTime

Not sure if it matters, but I've set my machine to prefer QuickTime 7 Pro over the QuickTime 10 Player that came bundled with it.

I've seen some people pose questions about this grey-block issue, but none have successfully been answered. I already tried uninstalling Flip4Mac (one person suggested this) and removing Perian (another suggestion) but neither made any difference.

A little help? I'm ready to pull out my hair.

Return to posts index

Lyle Aspinall
Re: Grey blocks in 'Log and Transfer' and 'Export using Quicktime Conversion'
on Aug 22, 2010 at 6:54:45 am

Problem solved: I had to install Calibrated{Q} DVCProHD Decode 1.5, available here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/calibratedqdvcprohddecode.html

All my little grey blocks have magically gone away!

Return to posts index

Jayasri Hart
on Aug 22, 2010 at 6:38:07 pm

Thank you for reporting back, Lyle. I was puzzled by the warning in the 1.5 Decode instructions: "Not for computers with any version of Final Cut Pro installed." Perhaps your setting the program to recognize QT 7.0 was a workaround?

Jayasri Hart
HARTFILMS
Los Angeles, USA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:53:03 pm

My guess is that you have the demo version of Calibrated installed, you could have uninstalled it and the blocks would have went away.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lyle Aspinall
on Aug 23, 2010 at 3:32:10 pm

Jeremy wins top marks here. He's exactly correct. I completely uninstalled Calibrated, and the blocks are gone.

Back in the day, when I was using Final Cut Express and not Pro, I was looking for something that would play/convert my Panasonic HVX200 DVCPro fooage, and I installed the demo version of Calibrated at that point. Once I started using FC Pro, I'd completely forgotten about Calibrated, and the demo trial period ran out. Little did I know that anything I tried to do in FC Pro with DVCPro footage was first going through the outdated/unlicenced Calibrated software, which resulted in the grey boxes.

Reinstalling Calibrated the other day meant I had a fresh demo of Calibrated that very likely would have caused the grey blocks to reappear once the trial period was over.

Thanks again, Jeremy. You're the first person to pinpoint the problem, and that's after having posted to two forums and asking around to various colleagues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]