FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting HPX-500 overcranked

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nicastro
Shooting HPX-500 overcranked
on Aug 17, 2010 at 10:13:53 pm

I'll be shooting with the HPX-500 and need to overcrank some shots. I've never shot overcranked before, what do I need to know to get smooth footage? What kind of settings should I use, shutter angle, etc?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Shooting HPX-500 overcranked
on Aug 18, 2010 at 12:31:59 pm

It's in the manual,

Page 37 & 38
Basically u shoot high frame rate ie: 60 fps and then play back in your time line at 29.97 or 24 fps (for example) thus giving you slo-mo.

Or reverse process for sped up.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
Re: Shooting HPX-500 overcranked
on Aug 20, 2010 at 8:07:49 pm

If you want the effect done in-camera, you'd set your recording format and frame rate, then in the Scene File menu change the frame rate from Default to the frame rate that gives you the desired over/under crank.

For instance - set 720pN24 for record format
Then set Frame Rate to 60

You'll be shooting 60fps but the movie is recorded at 24 (and will play back at 24) giving a 250% slow-mo. Set the Frame Rate back to DEFAULT and you'll be shooting 24 at 24p.

I'd set the camera to a Film shutter of 180 degrees.
NOTE - you can only over/under crank in 720p (no SD or 1080), and no audio is recorded.

I set up Scene Files with the shutter speed built-in. Slot 1 is my standard shooting profile, and the rest of the slots on the dial are the same look but with incremented frame rates. So I can spin the dial and shoot some quick off-speed speed clips and then quickly go back to my normal frame rate.

You can also do it like Chris suggested - shoot a higher frame rate than you intend to use and slow it down in post. This will give you audio and later flexibility in choosing when you want slow-mo. However the shutter speed gets a little more tricky - to get the 'normal' motion blur you'd need to set the shutter to the frame rate you intend to use, and not the frame rate you're actually shooting.

Did that make sense?

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved