FORUMS: list search recent posts

High Milage HPX? Good Buy?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris lonergan
High Milage HPX? Good Buy?
on Aug 16, 2010 at 2:08:52 pm

There is a HPX170 in my office that we might have to liquidate and some close friends have inquired about it. The problem is that its Hour Meter reads at 1089H, BUT, it was used for Depososions as just an image producer as it was tethered to a clamshell Mini DV deck and portable DVD burner, it may have never actually had a P2 card inserted in it. So my ? is would you buy a high hour camera that never uses its P2 capability, or is simply powering it on enough to cause it to be a sketchy purcahse? I would hate to sell it and give a firend a clunker.
thanks
-Chris

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: High Milage HPX? Good Buy?
on Aug 16, 2010 at 3:44:04 pm

The HPX170 should have a 5 year warranty. It would be good to find out from Panasonic if it's transferable. Even if it isn't, the camera has very few moving parts. I wouldn't be concerned about a solid state record camera with 1000 hours.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

chris lonergan
on Aug 16, 2010 at 4:02:36 pm

i have been its care taker for the last year for my office, so its in good shape, and like i said, its only been powered up, not writing to the P2 drive since i got it 2 years ago.

That is what i thought, it seems like a store demo camera, just powering up. I might pull the triger.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 16, 2010 at 10:59:23 pm

If I know the camera was well taken care of and was going for a good price I would buy one. Hours on these cameras are no wheres near an important as tape cameras.

Return to posts index

Robert Davis
on Jan 24, 2011 at 10:41:58 pm

This is good to hear. I'm also looking an a HPX170 with over 1000 hours but was concerned about that being "Mid Life" However, should i still be concerned about the E Series card's life? The camera was mainly used in a studio environment, and shot to P2 continuously on 2 32GB cards. It still has 2 years on the panasonic warranty and 1 year left on B&H. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller, but are there any particular questions you would ask other than lens scratches or worn out ports like the XLR's and Firewire jack?

He's put together a nice little kit with lots of extras like filters, case, extra batteries, and his price would reflect the hour usage accurately.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]