FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extreme Newbie with questions regarding HVX/HVXA/HPX and P2 compatibility with Mac Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Botte
Extreme Newbie with questions regarding HVX/HVXA/HPX and P2 compatibility with Mac Snow Leopard
on Aug 10, 2010 at 6:27:22 pm

OK. So here goes. I am a total newbie with just a basic understanding of cameras/editing/compatibility/and technical talk. However I am a fast learner, and am in the process of educating myself in order to be well informed.

(1) I am currently debating buying a used (but in great condition) HVX-200 (for $2,500). I am now wondering if I should just get the HVX-200A, which I believe I am able to get for a few hundred more (but without the cables/case/extra battery). Furthermore, I am wondering if I should just go all out for for the HPX (however, as I am just starting out with the intention of doing short films/documentaries/and just trying to build a portfolio I am not sure if I should be spending that much)? I guess my question for that is, with a limited budget, is the HPX really worth it for my intended purposes? Would anyone say buying the HVX would be a foolish mistake?

(2)From what I have read, there is some sort of compatibility issues with the P2 cards and loading content onto Snow Leopard? I have a Mac desktop (24 inch - the version from when Snow Leopard was first released). What does this mean for me? Am I able to transfer the info from the P2 onto my computer or not? Am I able to do it through firewire or is it only through USB? Do I need to purchase another piece of equipment in order to make this transfer?

I would sincerely appreciate any help on this as I am hard pressed to make a decision on the camera soon and I do not want to buy it in the blind not knowing basic technical details such as this P2 issue. It really is an investment to buy a camera especially a risk when you are just starting out so any help would be great! Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Extreme Newbie with questions regarding HVX/HVXA/HPX and P2 compatibility with Mac Snow Leopard
on Aug 10, 2010 at 11:09:17 pm

1) The 200A and the HPX-170 are better choices. The 170 if you don't need DV...it is a lighter camera and has a slightly wider lens. Both are .5 stop better when it comes to dealing with low light. Warning, if you budget is low, you might consider the HMC-150. That camera uses SD cards that a far cheaper than P2 cards. P2 can get expensive. So for budget, get the HMC-150.

2) The Snow Leopard thing is between one device that is used to read P2 cards. The Duel Systems adapter that works with MacBook Pros and Express34 slots. No drivers for Snow Leopard exist. But with a tower, you either use the camera to dump, or get a Sonnet Qio...or a Panasonic USB single card reader.

Watch this workflow for P2. This is basically true for all tapeless formats.

P2 Workflow with FCP 6

Again...look at the HMC-150.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Botte
Re: Extreme Newbie with questions regarding HVX/HVXA/HPX and P2 compatibility with Mac Snow Leopard
on Aug 11, 2010 at 2:28:20 am

Hi Shane,

I appreciate the response. Def did some research and came to the conclusion that the HPX170 is the way to go. As far as my budget, its not that low, but its one of those things where I am afraid I will buy the camera and find out I need all this extra additional equipment just to get the camera to work with my Mac. I am aware of the cost of P2 cards and that is fine, however, I did see some sort of storage device for P2 cards that was like $1,500 so that is why I was trying to find out how the P2 cards work with a Mac. Does it transfer through firewire or is only USB? B.c I have heard some complaints about slow uploading time, etc. I def want to shoot in HD so unless my extra costs after the camera won't tack on another 3K or so.. I should be fine. That clip of yours will def. come in handy once I am up and running, but right now I am still trying to get just the basic hardware technicalities understood.

From what I gather, I could either buy a P2 card or two, and when they full up, upload onto the Mac, then reuse.. or buy some sort of device that will store the P2 files and then erase it for re-use.. is this correct?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:56:13 am

What you want is an HPX-170, minimum 2 P2 cards 32GB or 64GB and the AJ-PCD2 single card reader.

Forget what you read about the P2 Store.

Please check out Shane's P2 workflow.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 11, 2010 at 5:30:11 am

Get this:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/193/880945

Shane

Return to posts index

Chris Botte
on Aug 11, 2010 at 2:13:04 pm

Thanks Guys,

I really appreciate all the help and am most def. going to go with the HPX170 camera, and probably get a 16gb and a 64gb P2 card. One thing I am still not certain on though: Am I able to hook up the camera, with the P2 card inside, directly to my Mac via Firewire and upload my videos onto computer and the fast speed of firewire as opposed to buying this reader and hooking up via USB. Is the only benefit of the card reader the size and reduction of having to clumsily hook the camera up to a computer? I really appreciate the advice as I am learning as I go. I will be taking a class in a month or so, but I do want as much info as possible before I make my investment in camera/equipment. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 11, 2010 at 4:46:52 pm

You can offload using the camera, and via firewire or USB. And the speeds are decently fast.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 11, 2010 at 8:05:22 pm

[Chris Botte] " Is the only benefit of the card reader the size and reduction of having to clumsily hook the camera up to a computer?"

What if one of your cards is full, or close to full and you have more shooting to do? A card reader would allow to offload the card to a computer and keep shooting.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Botte
on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:36:11 pm

Yes. That is a good point, but that would only be beneficial if you had a laptop to upload to on location. B/c if you didn't have the laptop on site, then you would have to upload separate from while your shooting.. unless you have one of these card storage devices that I read about, but those are expensive right? It seems that they have internal storage.. that seems very beneficial but they are very expensive. I suppose the preferred method is to have a card reader and laptop on location.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:49:03 pm

[Chris Botte] "unless you have one of these card storage devices that I read about, but those are expensive right?"

Not anymore, really they are outdated. The P2 store is only 60 Gigs, it won't fit a full 64Gig P2 card.

[Chris Botte] "I suppose the preferred method is to have a card reader and laptop on location."

Yes.

Return to posts index

Chris Botte
on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:59:43 pm

I continue to appreciate all the help. I do have another question as I am debating on whether I should buy an HVX200 package, or a HPX170 without a package. The package included in the HVX200 is as follows:

Panasonic AG-HVX200
Dolgin TC-400 Battery Charger
3 CGR-DU54 Batteries
Azden SGM-PDII Shotgun Microphone
Varizoom V2-Rock-P2FI zoom/focus/iris control
Chrosziel 450-HVX200K Mattebox
Tiffen 4x4 video essential DV kit
Petrol PMH-2 mini Hood
Pelican 1604 Hard Case

Are these items expensive add-ons? this package is $2,500, however I have found websites that sell the HPX170 for $3,000 sans the extra items that are included in this package. I need advice on what to do. I am trying to get the best deal, not really trying to cut corners, but I am a beginner and not fully educated/aware of added quality from the above listed add-ons. What is your opinion/insight. Greatly Appreciated!

Return to posts index

Chris Botte
on Aug 16, 2010 at 4:29:17 pm

Hey all, I really need some advice on this as I have to make the decision by today or tomorrow. I have researched the add-on gadgets and they seem be valuable, which makes this deal a good package, but I am not sure if these items are outdated and therefore the deal is not so good. I'd appreciate some knowledgeable insight on this. Thank you so much (in advance)!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]