FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where's the bad P2 transfer link?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
D. Scott Dobbie
Where's the bad P2 transfer link?
on Aug 6, 2010 at 11:45:20 pm

Scary situation:

Using my G4 laptop (OS 10.5.8) that is dedicated to only downloading P2 Cards, I used ShotPut Pro v3.0.4 to copy (2) 32GB cards to a 500 GB LaCie Rugged Drive via FW800.

The two cards transferred with no issue. I did not verify contents, only file size.

I took the LaCie to a post facility and they plugged it in. They weren't able to read 'Card 1.' On closer examination that's because the Contents folder was empty except for the Audio folder within. Yet there was nothing in the audio folder and there was no LASTCLIP.txt file. (thank goodness for dual backups)

A subsequent check of the ShotPut transfer log showed that the transfer took 24 minutes and the files and sizes were correct.

I have NO idea what occurred but obviously want to prevent it from happening again.

I now find there's a new ShotPut Pro version of 3.1.0, which I'm DL'ing, yet I don't see that as the issue.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Where's the bad P2 transfer link?
on Aug 7, 2010 at 12:36:56 am

Contact Imagine Products and save those logs.

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Aug 7, 2010 at 4:04:37 am

All I can say is that that is scary and it makes want to NOT use Shotput Pro. I have always transferred my P2 files manually and I always play a clip from the card before deleting a card.

This is why. Sometimes you just cannot leave it to some software, you have to check it yourself.

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 7, 2010 at 5:53:44 pm

Every time we offload a P2 card to a drive we use HD Log to play every clip on the card for a few seconds to confirm it's okay. Get in the habit of checking your data every time it's moved. After all, it's your master. Ans backup, too.

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved