FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200a versus...

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Abbott
HVX200a versus...
on Aug 6, 2010 at 8:03:13 pm

Greetings. Noobish amateur here.

I'm looking into getting a camcorder and need desperate communication with people who are knowledgeable.

USE: I'll be filming (mostly INTERIOR) projects. I will be creating informational videos on procedures that a patient is about to undergo. This will be done for multiple businesses, not a one time thing. Include a few weddings and other recreational events to that, too.

VIEWING: 1. Computer monitor 2. Television screen via DVD.

CAMS: HVX200a, Canon XH-A1S, Canon GY-HM100U, Sony HVR-Z5U (and a few more... dang it).

A lot of cameras? Yeah. That's why I came to the big boy playground.

I had originally planned on getting the HVX200a, but the lack of recording HD on tape gave me pause. I remember using it in school and liking it, but the p2 cards are also a bit pricey (though nothings too pricey if you want good work, IMO).

Can a mac pro be fitted with a slot for the p2 card or will it be better to transfer via firewire? I know a MacBook Pro can.

This being a HVX thread, I'm hoping I might get some comparison with it vs the other cameras from those who've used them or even why others CHOSE the HVX in the first place.

All knowledge and insights are welcome.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: HVX200a versus...
on Aug 6, 2010 at 9:11:43 pm

For P2 transfer in the field and back home there's the Panasonic AJ-PCD2 Single-slot P2 Card Reader.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Nathan Abbott
on Aug 7, 2010 at 1:14:35 am

Ah, great link. I've done a small amount of research on P2 cards and is there a good place to buy them that won't charge you an arm and leg? I usually look at bhphotovideo.com for stuff. Are they still the best place?

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Aug 6, 2010 at 11:29:45 pm

The lowest cost camera that records HD to tape, other than HDV, costs around $30,000.00. The HVX200A costs around $5k, records 4:2:2 HD video to P2 cards that cost a few hundred dollars, I don't understand your objection?

You would want to consider the AG-HPX170 over the HVX200A, unless for some reason you are still needing to shoot SD. The 170 has several features that are lacking on the HVX200A. You may find reading this to be helpful in understanding everything you need to know about the AG-HPX170.
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hpx_170_evolution_brockett.html

Dan

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

Nathan Abbott
on Aug 7, 2010 at 1:11:50 am

Sorry. I meant to say HDV, not HD. Thanks for the link. I started on it but haven't finished it yet.

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Aug 7, 2010 at 4:02:17 am

Yes, I tend to write really long articles but it is what my audience wants. They complain when I write the brief ones.

Dan

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]