FORUMS: list search recent posts

Record Deck HDSDI

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Rozon
Record Deck HDSDI
on Aug 5, 2010 at 1:11:14 pm

I am currently running 3 HPX500 into a Panasonic switcher. I send a feed to IMAG but I also want to record the HDSDI feed.

I am looking for suggestions for an economical way to record the line cut of the show for the purpose of editing it later. I will be editing on Premiere Pro PC.

My first thought is record to Laptop but am not sure what specs and hardware would be required to make this a reliable solution.

Paul

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: Record Deck HDSDI
on Aug 5, 2010 at 2:37:43 pm

My first choice would be an AJA Ki Pro ProRes deck, but I don't know what your budget is. They can be rented for a couple of hundred dollars a day.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:57:06 pm

That would be my first choice but ProRes is read only if you don't have FCP so your workflow maybe more than desired, not that it cannot be done just think it through. If you are editing PPro on a Mac with FCP also on it you are okay.

There are several converters on the market to capture to a compture. Take a look at AJAs Io line and Matrox's MXO2 lines. You can get HDSDI to a laptop for under a grand. Of course you need express34 slot on the laptop.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 5, 2010 at 11:22:33 pm

I too recommend the KiPro. ProRes is supported by Adobe CS4 and CS5, so I don't see an issue capturing and editing that format. You don't need FCP on the same system to read those files.

I'd have suggested the MXO2 and a laptop on location, but you can only record 720p reliably with that setup. 1080 is too much for captures longer than 2-3 min.

DECKS? Well, other than the high end HDCAM and D5 decks, you might find an HDV deck with SDI inputs. Or at least a DVCPRO HD one...AJHD-1400.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Aug 6, 2010 at 2:14:04 pm

The Ki Pro looks like a killer unit at a great price. Obviously geared toward mac but you say CS4 PC will read apple pro-rez no problem?

I watched the video overview on the aja site and it said you could record up to 2 hours pro rez HQ. The shows that we are running are over 2 hours. Do they make larger drives to get beyond the 2 hours? I checked the site but could not find that info.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2010 at 4:01:42 pm

[Paul Rozon] "but you say CS4 PC will read apple pro-rez no problem? "

Ahhh....the only issue here is that the drive is formatted MacOS Extended...PCs have issues reading that drive format. You might need to install software that allows the OS to read that drive format. I know darn little about PCs

[Paul Rozon] " it said you could record up to 2 hours pro rez HQ. The shows that we are running are over 2 hours. Do they make larger drives to get beyond the 2 hours?"

First off, it records to ProRes HQ, and to ProRes 422. standard ProRes is perfectly fine for 1080 work. HQ is typically overkill for anything under 2K. So you can get 3+ hours record time with the standard ProRes setting. Second off, yes, they make larger hard drives. I believe it ships with a 250GB, but 320 and 500GB are also available.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Aug 6, 2010 at 5:34:13 pm

I have been reading up on pro-rez HQ. You are correct, In my situation that would be overkill. So I can in fact fit my shows onto this unit.

So it is a question of what software I require to be able to read that firewire drive onto my PC. I will do some research but if there is anyone with first hand experience with this please jump in.

thanks

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Aug 6, 2010 at 5:54:23 pm

my reserch shows a ki pro forum right here on the cow. I will see what that forum has to offer. thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]