FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1R vs AG-AF100 for documentary

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Adams
EX1R vs AG-AF100 for documentary
on Aug 1, 2010 at 12:14:54 am

Hi,
I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the upcoming AG-AF100, specifically how you think it would compare to the EX1R. I am shooting a documentary soon and I already have the canon 5D which I figure I can use for "beauty" shots, I just need an "A" camera. I have been planning to buy the ex1r, in fact this week, however I was just turned on to this new Panasonic camera with the 4/3 chip. Even though it is only one chip will it still achieve better results than the ex? Will the DOF really be that big of an improvement? I have a shoot coming up in a couple weeks and I don't know whether I should wait for the Panasonic and rent the ex in the meantime when i need it or just go for ex1. I think for a doc it wouldnt matter as much but I take it the panasonic will be much better for those artsy narratives than the ex1?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: EX1R vs AG-AF100 for documentary
on Aug 1, 2010 at 12:24:17 pm

Matt:

You are the classic case of "waiting for what is coming next". Nobody has seen or shot with the AG-AF100 so this is a case of intense speculation, which may or may not be correct.

The AG-AF100 will be similar to your 5D MKII in that shallow DOF is hard to manage in run and gun and unrehearsed situations. Also, nobody knows what the camera will sell for exactly. Some think around U.S. $6,000.00 but Panasonic has not made an official announcement yet.

The Sony uses SxS cards, they are robust and reliable. The AF-100 uses SDHC cards, not as robust and reliable.

AVCHD vs. XDCAM EX? Tough call, I have not tested, although I have shot both. I think that AVCHD is said to look a little better at it's highest bit rate.

The other factor is time. Panasonic is known for not having adequate quantities of product on release dates, and all we know is that the AF100 is supposed to release in or before December. IMHO, this means you will actually be able to get your hands on one to buy in, perhaps, February or March of 2011. Does that fit your schedule? If not, this whole discussion is moot.

As far as sensors, the RED One uses a single sensor as do other high end digital cinema cameras so I would not base any decision on number of sensors. The EX1 is a great camera and I am confident that the AF100 will be also. But I could not make a rational informed decision on which to buy over the other until about Spring of 2011. Anything else, unless you can talk to a reviewer or beta tester, is pure speculation. Not a good base to make an informed decision.

Dan

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Adams
on Aug 1, 2010 at 6:13:26 pm

Thanks Dan, I think that I will go for the ex1r for a few reasons. Although I have been a little swayed recently by all this internet fascination with the shallowest depth of field (I agree it is nice, it is hard to go back to a D90 after shooting with a Mark ii) for my purposes the shallowest DOF might not be the best choice as I will probably be in some "run and gun" situations. Also, I do not have all that much time to waste waiting for something speculative. Even though something like the af100 might be better suited for "artsy narratives", that is not my main concern right now as I am planning to shoot a doc. By the time I get around to doing more narrative driven projects it will probably be at least a year down the road anyway, and by then I'm sure there will be a bunch of competition for hdslr inspired cameras.

Thanks you very much for your help.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 1, 2010 at 6:52:01 pm

the DoF on the Panny will be closer to the 5D then a video camera. I think it would match up much better.

I'm really excited about this camera and I think it is the first step in the right direction for true video cameras. The only downer I see is the codec they are going with, but with true HD SDI that can now be by-passed.

Not sure when they will be shipping though, I thought the word was the end of the end, which means Feb 2011 in Panasonic time.

The look needs to support the story but the story is or should always be #1 concern. I would rather watch something that is well put together and a compelling story shot on DV that some rambling crap shot on the best camera. Of course when they both come together it is the best.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:14:07 am

Yeah I'm looking forward to this camera too- will be interesting to see what it does not only to on a technical level but to the industry at large.

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Aug 2, 2010 at 2:21:21 pm

The AF100 will be shipping in December. As far as Panasonic not having enough to meet initial demand I think that is true of virtually any manufacturer that brings a new camera to the market. At least that is what I have seen over the last 20 years or so.

Hope that helps

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 2, 2010 at 5:54:36 pm

Well Jan, easy solution to that is to stop making cameras that people want to buy. :-)

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:27:22 pm

Hi Jan:

You are correct of course, I should clarify that I am not singling out Panasonic for never having enough of new cameras, all of the hot new cameras are that way. It was the same when I bought a Canon 5D MKII last year, there were none to be found anywhere and I lucked out when Amazon.com received a couple. I bought mine and then they were out of stock again for months.

It was the same with my HVX200 back in 2006 and my DVX100A before that. I would think that there is no way to accurately gauge what the demand will be for a new camera and overestimating demand could be a costly mistake?

Can't wait to try out the AG-AF100, it sounds like it will be everything that DSLR users have been wishing for.

Dan

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]