FORUMS: list search recent posts

extremely slow P2 transfer to FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina Hasin
extremely slow P2 transfer to FCP
on Jul 31, 2010 at 12:10:33 am

What am I doing wrong? I'm experiencing very, very slow transfer times. For example, 30 seconds of video took 6 min. to transfer in the Log and Transfer Window of FCP 7, 5 sec. took 30 sec., 3 minutes of video took over 30 minutes . It came from DVCPRO HD 1080p24 on a P2 card that was copied over to a little Western Digital My Passport USB external HD and connected to my Macbook Pro. I even tried both USB ports and both were slow. I also had my media drive (Fantom Drive 2TQuad connected into the FW800 port because that's my Scratch Drive.

Is the slowness because it's coming from a USB drive rather than a quicker FW drive?Someone said that my laptop may be slowing things down because the 120G internal HD has only 11G available. How much does that contribute to transfer speed into a FCP project?

Would it be better to do an overnight transfer (bypassing FCP and Log and Transfer for the moment) of the eight 64G P2 card footage folders (Content & Text) that are in the little USB drive that's mounted on my desktop and copy them onto my FW media drive and once they're on there, then launch FCP and go to Log and Transfer for the clips I want in my project?

Any ideas would be appreciated because my brain is now completely fried from too much technology.

ninah

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: extremely slow P2 transfer to FCP
on Jul 31, 2010 at 3:55:17 am

Your USB drive is the problem. It's slow. FW800 or eSata is what you want. If not, FW400.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]