FORUMS: list search recent posts

Incompatible P2 Card... next step?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Carr
Incompatible P2 Card... next step?
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:43:36 pm

We've been very happily applying our HVX200 as a workhorse system.mostly 720 24pn since its new purchase in January 2007. I have six original issue 8GB cards. Neither camera nor cards presented any issues through the tens of thousands of clips shot, until last week.

After inserting a card and formatting in-camera, the message was "Incompatible Card". I reformatted the card and the message went away. After shooting several clips successfully, the message returned and no recording was allowed. I ejected the card and used a different one assuming it was a card problem. From that point on, I decided to use one card at a time to avoid spanning, and try the other slot.

Same problem occurred in the other slot with other cards. I was able to finish the shoot by reformatting / switching slots indiscriminately.

The clips from all cards were unharmed and transferred fine, despite the errors that hindered shooting.

I have never once upgraded firmware, since the camera and its cards are integral to the time I bought them; essentially it's a closed system.
I always format cards in-camera.
I blew out the slots with Dustoff and keep the camera and cards clean and dry.
I do not shoot in harsh environments like safaris, reef-diving, mountain climbing or volcano eruptions.

I will call Panasonic to initiate service, but before I do-- any similar experiences or recommendations out there to inform my next steps?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Incompatible P2 Card... next step?
on Jul 23, 2010 at 8:40:24 pm

Perhaps see if a firmware update will help you. It's probably what Panasonic will tell you to do first.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jul 24, 2010 at 1:10:15 am

Thanks, I will do that and report back to this thread.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jul 26, 2010 at 6:52:43 pm

Report: Updating the firmware did not solve the issue. I'm shipping the camera to Panasonic in NJ for a service estimate.

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Jul 28, 2010 at 12:07:10 am

Hi William,

Maybe you'd be better to Sink any repair costs into another camera, and sell your current one, I suspect that since jan 07 it has paid for it's self many times over.
My last three cameras at any hint of big trouble usually after a few years, I retire them or sell em, and up-date, cards and all...
My experiences of years ago with service by suppliers is woeful and by up-dateing can aviod many expensive and time wasting weeks.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:55:02 am

Thanks for the thoughts, Tom. I'd love to upgrade my camera, and depending upon repair estimate I might just.

In the intervening centuries since 2007, last Fall I acquired a GH1 and its 720@30p is quite stunning. Just shot a short doc with it in the field and apart from certain ergonomic issues, it outdid the 200. With what I could get for a used HVX200 kit (w/ Century lens attachments, Firestore FS-100, Ellipz, 6 cards, etc.) the time might be right--- even for the HPX170 which would be a step up!

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Jul 29, 2010 at 12:42:41 am

Hello William,

I have a HPX172 as a back-up for my now older and still much used P2 cam the SPX800, I prefer to use the bigger cam against the HPX172 because of ease of use, the smaller cams still have too many fiddly buttons and confusing ways of using the controls compared to the Full size cams.
HPX172 biggest advantage is that it is so light weight and can shoot in so many great formats.
I suppose it's a personal choice thing, my ergonomic dream camera would be one of the new JVC range of shoulder mount cams, if it shot all the formats that the Panasonic did, I'd buy one tomorrow.
Till then I'll be happy with the 800 and the little HPX.

Cheers and good luck with your repair quote.
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]