FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning DVD with 720p24 footage (shot on HVX)

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory Tomascoff
Burning DVD with 720p24 footage (shot on HVX)
on Jul 22, 2010 at 9:39:26 pm

I recently finished editing a project which I shot in 720p24PN on the Panasonic HVX 200.

I've been trying to burn a DVD of the film, but every time I do, the quality is poor. I've tried converting the film numerous ways and I cannot figure out what conversion will work.

Most recently I've tried a quick time conversion using DVCPRO HD 720p60 and changing the frame rate to 24, which still doesn't work.

And the whole codec thing doesn't make much sense to me either. Do I have to download a special codec?

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone knows how and in what format I need to convert my piece so it comes out looking reasonably good on a normal DVD-R.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Burning DVD with 720p24 footage (shot on HVX)
on Jul 22, 2010 at 10:28:57 pm

Output from ur timeline "current setting" (FCP) making a ref file.

Drop the ref file into compressor.

Modify data rate setting to maximize your program length to quality. Leave fields upper.

Bring mpeg clip into DVD program.

Burn.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Cory Tomascoff
on Jul 22, 2010 at 11:17:34 pm

When you say output to a ref file, I'm assuming you mean export quicktime movie and leave on current settings right?

Once I put it into compressor, what exactly am I compressing it to? There are many options. You mention mpeg clip... am I compressing to DVD: MPEG -1 or HD DVD: HD MPEG -2 30min....?

Can you explain what you mean by data rate and leaving fields upper? Where do I adjust these in Compressor? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here.

Thanks so much

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 22, 2010 at 11:24:00 pm

Please go through your DVD SP tutorial- it explains how to do this step by step. And disregard HD-DVD- that is an old, dead format that is not usable.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Cory Tomascoff
on Jul 23, 2010 at 12:54:20 am

What even is a DVD SP tutorial?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:21:40 am

[Chris Tompkins] "Leave fields upper"
His footage is progressive, that is a mis-statement.

You want to keep it 24 Progressive all the way through the authoring process.

Return to posts index

Cory Tomascoff
on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:37:57 am

Okay good to know... but I still unsure of exactly what to do in order to get a good looking DVD.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:48:12 am

The tutorial that comes with DVD Studio Pro i.e. The Manual. Read it...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:09:35 pm

Know that any DVD you make is an SD DVD...it won't look as good as the original HD footage. No way. But, to get a good looking SD DVD...just use the presets...

#42 - Quick and dirty way to author a DVD

Shane's Stock Answer #42 - David Roth Weiss' Secret Quick and Dirty Way to Author a DVD:

The absolute simplest way to make a DVD using FCP and DVDSP is as follows:

1. Export a QT movie, either a reference file or self contained using current settings.

2. Open DVDSP, select the "graphical" tab and you will see two little monitors, one blue, one green.

3. Select the left blue one and hit delete.

4. Now, select the green one, right click on it amd select the top option "first play".

5. Now drag your QT from the broswer and drop it on top of the green monitor.

6. Now, for a DVD from an HD source, look to the right side and select the "general tab" in the track editor, and see the Display Mode, and select "16:9 pan-scan."

7. Hit the little black and yellow burn icon at the top of the page and put a a DVD in when prompted. DVDSP will encode and burn your new DVD.

THATS ALL!!!

NOW...if you want a GOOD LOOKING DVD, instead of taking your REF movie into DVD SP, instead take it into Compressor and choose the BEST QUALITY ENCODE (2 pass VBR) that matches your show timing. Then take THAT result into DVD SP and follow the rest of the steps. Except you can choose "16:9 LETTERBOX" instead of PAN & SCAN if you want to see the entire image.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Cory Tomascoff
on Jul 26, 2010 at 10:07:19 pm

Thanks for all the help!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:35:27 pm

Michael Sacci

Ya, I missed the P part.
Thanks!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]