FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing P2 footage from my desktop

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Kyriakos
Importing P2 footage from my desktop
on Jul 18, 2010 at 3:47:12 am

I normally use log and transfer to import my files into Final Cut 7.0.2 I'm running Mac OS 10.6.4
and I have no issues when I do that. But today I copied contents of the entire P2 card into a folder onto my desk top so I could import it latter which I have done before with no problems. But when I tried it today it wouldn't let me import it into Log and Transfer or any other way. This is the error message I get.

Warning
"VIDEO contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Importing P2 footage from my desktop
on Jul 18, 2010 at 5:18:57 pm

How did you copy the media from card to desktop? Have you checked to make sure all the data was copied from your card? Get Info from the P2 card and the copied folder and compare the sizes. Something must not have been copied. You didn't mention what computer you were using, but you shouldn't use your system drive for media. This wouldn't cause the problem you're having, but media should be on a separate drive from the system. Have you tried L&T from the P2 card? If it's damaged you can repair the folder structure in the camera.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

George Kyriakos
on Jul 18, 2010 at 7:59:11 pm

Hi John,

I've been using P2 cards and Macs since P2 cards came out. I've never had an issue before.
Sometimes I import it with Log and Transfer and sometimes (in this case) I drag the files off the P2
drives directly into a folder onto my desk top then import them latter.

Recently I got a new MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard.
I've tried every thing - I downloaded all the new P2 drivers and the new update for Snow Leopard.

I've erased the data off my cards so I can't re-import them (dumb I know) but when I check the folder it
all seems to be there. The only solution I came up with is using the import files button in FC then choose all types of files then import the MXF files into my bin then export them them as Quicktime files then re-iport them back into FC. This works but the audio is a nightmare - I'm lucky that I don't need the audio in this case.

I'm convinced it's a incomparability issue between P2 and Snow Leopard when you copy the files to a folder then try to import them form there.

Thanks so much for your input!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 19, 2010 at 9:44:21 am

[George Kyriakos] "I'm convinced it's a incomparability issue between P2 and Snow Leopard when you copy the files to a folder then try to import them form there."

Well, you're wrong. I'm running snow leopard and don't have an issue. THOUSANDS of people are running SL and not having this issue. If they did, you'd see this forum CLOGGED with people with that issue....but if you search, you won't see that many. There's something else.

Try copying this backup to an external drive, then import? Did you copy over EVERYTHING? Any files missing? This is why it is highly recommended to get ShotPut Pro...not only does it automate P2 backup, it verifies the data as it backs it up. To make sure everything was copied.

[George Kyriakos] "The only solution I came up with is using the import files button in FC then choose all types of files then import the MXF files into my bin then export them them as Quicktime files then re-iport them back into FC. "

Why go to all that trouble? You can import and work with the MXF files natively apparently...you have P2CMS installed or CAlibrated or MXF4QT...so why not work with the MXF files? Why the extra step, that then wipes out all source timecode?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

George Kyriakos
on Jul 19, 2010 at 11:17:49 am

Yes. I copied the files to an external drive. Checked the size of the folder with a back-up I made right after I copied the folder form my P2 card and it is the same size. I still can't import it in Log and Transfer.

I'll get ShotPut Pro. Thank you.

Yes after I downloaded the drivers from Panasonic I was able to work with MXF files.
The reason for the extra step is that this client wants QTs to work with so that's why I have to out put them as QTs.

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

George Kyriakos
on Jul 19, 2010 at 12:49:48 pm

The Genius at the Apple Store in SoHo figured it out this morning. When the folder was copied over it changed the original contents folder's name to contents 2 and that was the only issue when he deleted the 2 it imported just fine.

Thanks everyone for all your input and
thanks Apple!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:19:47 pm

You can try Panasonic's P2CMS program. I believe it's a free download. It can do some repairs of P2 contents structure. Also, MXF4Mac, Raylight for Mac and Calibrated Software have P2 import capability.

You may be right about SL causing issues. It certainly did when it was first released. Make sure you have the updated Panny drivers for SL. Did yo do a clean install - wipe the drive and install from scratch? I know not doing that did cause many problems. If you search you'll find those discussions.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]