FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Streaming - Multiple HVX200's into uStream

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Allen
Live Streaming - Multiple HVX200's into uStream
on Jul 16, 2010 at 6:52:21 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question so I may post in a couple other forums as well..

We have a client (major recording artist) who wants to announce their next album on uStream and answer fan questions. Typically, uStream uses an attached webcam for the video, but we need better quality for the stream, and also for future broadcast release.

So the main question: What is the best way to attach multiple HXV200's to the computer for use with uStream. I'm guessing we would need to use the HD/SDI out from the camera, but not sure about what type of device would accomodate several cams into the computer. Do we need a full fledged live switcher for something like this?

The other question: Can we also record each camera onto the P2 cards while also sending the signal through the HD/SDI port?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as this is our first time dealing with high quality, multiple camera live streaming.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Live Streaming - Multiple HVX200's into uStream
on Jul 16, 2010 at 9:03:16 pm

First the HVX200 does not have HDSDI out, it has HD analog component out. HPX170 has HD SDI out.

Each camera would go to a switcher, than the switch would go to the computers I/O.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Jul 16, 2010 at 9:25:07 pm

Hey thanks for the reply Michael..

So just to be clear, each cam would go to a switcher via the HD analog component out? Then the switcher to the computer.

What hardware do we need for the switcher > computer? We currently have a BlackMagic Decklink capture card.

And finally, what about the audio? We will most likely have a lav mic or possibly a boom going into the main camera. Would the audio go through the switcher as well, or straight to the computer?

Thanks again for your help and any other advice you can share..

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 17, 2010 at 4:13:09 am

Google Tricaster or Anycast.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Eisnebach
on Jul 18, 2010 at 3:45:09 pm

Another way to go would be to use software like Telestream's wirecast. IT can handle multiple cameras as long as you have enough Firewire ports on your computer and your computer has a fast processor.
I tried it with 2 hvx 200A in SD mode and it worked nicely.
At the moment I am trying to have 2 HD signals, but I can't manage to get the digital HD stream out of the camera via Firewire. Anyone has experience with that?

Return to posts index

Ryan Pratzel
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:38:01 am

Jeremy-

We do this type of setup frequently. You can do it software based with Wirecast or UStream has it's own software called UStream Producer. UStream producer is a re-skinned version of Wirecast and is made by Telestream. The only problem with it is that it only works with UStream.

When we do this type of switch we do two cameras into a firewire hub. We have never been able to do more than (2) cameras. The bandwidth into the computer is just too much. Also, what we normally do is BNC from the cameras to a canopus box and then to the firewire hub.

With that said, we don't do this in HD. I have yet to see effective streaming via HD on UStream with this type of setup. In fact, one of the multi-cam projects we did was with a tech rep from UStream and he did not recommend HD streaming.

We have also done these live streams with a Tricaster and hardware switcher. Either solution works. It always comes down to budget.

In terms of cameras, we've done live streams with HPX500's, HPX170s, and Sony HDV cameras. We even did one recently with Ikegami studio cams (going through a tricaster).

I highly recommend finding someone in your market who has done these setups to assist with your first project. This will save you alot of headaches.

Ryan Pratzel
Executive Producer
Creative Liquid Productions
http://www.CreativeLiquid.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Jul 20, 2010 at 1:04:16 am

Ryan, thanks so much for your in-depth reply. I've been testing uStream Producer Pro all day, and I pretty much have it all figured out. I think they did a great job with that software. We've been in touch with the uStream people and they have been very helpful, as this is a very high profile artist.

As you mentioned, we quickly realized that HD streaming sounds great in theory, but not quite stable enough at this point. So we'll be streaming 2 cams in SD.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this. The stream is tomorrow, fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly!

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

Danny McCarthy
on Feb 15, 2011 at 10:57:59 pm

Ryan,

I realize that this is quite some time later, but after searching for advice for an issue I have, you seem to have a lot of experience with the type of project I am helping produce. You discussed streaming multiple cameras over UStream Producer Pro through a Canopus box. I have done this before with one static camera (HMC-150) through a single input Canopus box (ADVC110) with an RCA cable and used UStream Producer Pro with success. I now have a project that will involve two cameras that need to be mobile (moving around 3 large kitchens at cooking school).

1) I was wondering if you put both cameras into a single Canopus box with multiple inputs and then into the computer through a single firewire cable and if so, what model Canopus do you use.

2)I also was wondering if you or anyone had thoughts about the issue of the cameras moving around a larger space. The only thing I could think of was buying extra long RCA cables or possibly looking into wireless video transmitters (though I have no experience with these). This is also a project for a Non-Profit, so it has a smaller budget. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Danny

Return to posts index

Richard Liu
on Aug 31, 2011 at 8:48:23 pm

Danny,
Have you had any luck with steaming HD on Ustream with the HMC-150?

just curious.

-r

Return to posts index

Danny McCarthy
on Aug 31, 2011 at 9:02:13 pm

I've had luck streaming with HMC 150 but it wasn't in HD. It looked nice though

Danny McCarthy
Assistant Producer
Big Teeth Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>