FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations to Clean the Camera

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Richards
Recommendations to Clean the Camera
on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:50:28 pm

Hello All,

I had a shoot at the beach a few days ago and although I thought I did a good job of cleaning the camera, there are still some residual salt water 'stains' on the body of the camera, mostly in the nooks and crannys.
Also, and I didn't realize it at the time, a little bit of water got onto the camera behind where the battery sits. Now there's a little bit of what looks like corrosion. While this has not affected the camera working off the battery, I'd still like to remove it.
Any recommendations for cleaning both the body and the corrosion removal would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: Recommendations to Clean the Camera
on Jul 16, 2010 at 3:46:29 pm

Hi Larry:

It would help if you identified which model camera you are using as the bodies on a professional HPX2700 are made of magnesium versus the plastic body panels on low-end prosumer cameras like the HVX200 and the HMC150.

I would read the manual but you never want to clean any camera with any sort of solvent or acetone-based cleaner. The safe bet is a cloth, slightly dampened with warm water. I have also used Apple Polish, the same stuff that Apple recommends to clean the bodies and screens of computers. Lots of Q-tips, clean warm water. I prefer the Hoodman LCD wipes for the LCD screens, it is the only cleaner that actually cleans LCDs without scratching or hazing.

Salt water, huh? Yikes, I would hate to think where else that salt water could have gone, into seals, sealed compartments, etc. Not good. If you are shooting in conditions with spray and lots of residual water flying around, that camera should be in a diving bag, at least, one of those clear, heavy duty plastic-bag like housings for taking the camera underwater at shallow depths. Salt water will eventually kill any electronics, I am glad that I don't own your camera. Things may happen down the road that might have been caused by this exposure.

Good luck.

Dan

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
Re: Recommendations to Clean the Camera
on Jul 16, 2010 at 5:40:05 pm

Dan, thanks for the input. It's not all doom and gloom. The camera (and HVX200a) is fine. There was just a little salt-water spray mixed with sweat; a very humid day on a Florida beach. Thanks again.

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]