FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxy edit, how to replace proxies with HD footage?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Palmos
Proxy edit, how to replace proxies with HD footage?
on Jul 9, 2010 at 9:34:24 am

Hello guys,

I am doing a job that someone filmed in the USA and sent me a folder of proxies. I started the edit with the proxies because the HD footage was being Fedexed to me days later.

When I got the drives with the folder containing AUDIO CLIP ICON PROXY VIDEO VOICE, I used the FCP Log and Transfer to import the HD stuff, thinking somehow it would "know" what to do with it... it didn't.

The other complication is that some of the proxy clips were 9:53:28 long, and were all just PART of a 45 minute HD clip, so the time codes of each proxy seems to start at 00:00:00 which obviously would not relate back to the HD files.

Is the procedure I followed correct? If so, what went wrong?

Thanks guys,

Mark, UK.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Proxy edit, how to replace proxies with HD footage?
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:23:16 pm

Select Project and File > Reconnect Media. Of course this will be much much simpler if the HD footage is named in the same manner as the Proxy. Otherwise get ready for a lot of manual work.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:50:24 pm

Hi Noah,

Thanks for the response.

hmmm... so the workflow would assume the proxy and HD clips have the same name, and they would be relinked just like any media you were re-linking?

I thought there would be some other method. How then would the proxies which relate to only PART of an HD file actually then be re-linked? The HD clip was 45 mins, the proxies 9 mins something. Are the proxies created automatically by the camera?

Thanks again,

Mark.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 9, 2010 at 9:54:55 pm

Well when you make proxies you need to include the entire clip from start to finish- otherwise how would timecodes ever match back to the original media? Sounds like you'll be going manual i.e. visually matching up on each cut. Ouch but shouldn't take you more than a day or so.

To be honest- there's really little point in editing proxies in 2010+ if we're not talking scanned 35mm negative or massive uncompressed HD/4K, etc. Not when most in-camera formats are relatively small and a hard drive is just an overnight FedEx away. For next time...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:16:55 pm

I'm sure the 45 minute HD clip was spanned and the proxy wasn't so you have toamually join the proxy clips. You're talking about camera generated proxies, correct?

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:54:59 pm

Hi Jeremy
Actually I don\'t know, it was sent to us from the USA via yousendit and the hd sent days later on a drive. Next time I will insist on exact name matches or overnight hd sending!
Thanks again all,
Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]