FORUMS: list search recent posts

Phantom power no longer working for mic input 2

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Smith
Phantom power no longer working for mic input 2
on Jul 7, 2010 at 6:48:38 am

Let me start by saying I'm pretty confident the phantom power is broken for the mic input 2. In other words, I don't think it's any obvious mistake I'm missing, i.e. not switching the power on, faulty mics/cables, etc. I've tried all frame rates, etc.

However, I hope I'm wrong and I'm unaware of something that could restore the sound. Input 1 works fine, as do the internal mics. I get sound from the internal mic on channel 2, but no external input sound.

When no external mics are attached and you click the phantom power on for a mic input, there is a quick rise in the audio levels. When I click it for mic input 2, there is nothing.

I haven't read this is common, so I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if I'm missing something or it simply stopped working. For what reason, if any, would that stop working, by the way?

Thanks

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Michael Sacci
Re: Phantom power no longer working for mic input 2
on Jul 7, 2010 at 9:42:57 am

Not to sound like a smart ass but things stop working because they brake, things go bad, there doesn't have to be a reason for things going bad. If you are testing the same mic that needs phatom power and it works on Mic 1 but not on Mic 2, then you need to have the camera serviced. Make sure the Mic 2 is set to Mic and not Line on the front switch. Also test sending Mic 2 to both Ch 1 and 2.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:40:39 pm

yeap- these cameras don't last forever and any part of a camera that gets repeatedly plugged and unplugged is typically the first thing to need servicing. Should not be too expensive a repair though- compared to say breaking the lens.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Jul 7, 2010 at 6:09:58 pm

You could also use a dynamic mic on "2" and see if it works. (Dynamic microphones do not require phantom power.) This doesn't solve your problem, but it makes for interesting troubleshooting, as most of the internal mics also require some voltage. So, why would it work for 3 out of 4 channels? I think it is the actual connections for that input rather than phantom power.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Samuel Smith
on Jul 8, 2010 at 9:53:10 pm

I can't believe the horrible oversight I made. I was unaware of the "line/mic" switch below the XLR input. Unbelievable, and the realization happened too late for my shoot.

I borrow the HVX and hadn't had to make the switch in years.

Thanks for the posts. I wanted to put a button on it, despite the embarrassment, if anyone was wondering.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]