FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX2700 Varicam Blown Fuse

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Manuel
HPX2700 Varicam Blown Fuse
on Jul 7, 2010 at 4:33:25 am

Our company owns 2 HPX2700s. In February, the day before the Superbowl in Miami, our B camera would not power on. Fortunately Panasonic Service put me in touch with an amazing local engineer who met me at midnight and had the camera up and running the next morning. He said the camera had blown an internal fuse. No accessories were atteched to the camera other than eyepiece and mic so we had no way of telling what caused it.
2 days ago the same thing happened to our A body but this time there we are back home in New Orleans without a qualified engineer to rescue us. I am beginning to suspect an engineering or manufacturing flaw to be the cause of this now recurring issue. I am curious as to whether or not anyone else has had similar misfortunes.

-Carlos

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: HPX2700 Varicam Blown Fuse
on Jul 8, 2010 at 2:16:13 am

Not lost any fuses or tripped a breaker in nine months in a rental environment. It's quite normal for an on-board monitor to power off of the D-Tap connector on the battery bracket as well, but this shouldn't add any additional load to the camera's internal power supply.

Has this happened using batteries? If a battery is fresh off a charger, it's not uncommon for voltage to be 17 volts +. Maybe that's just high enough to blow an internal fuse?

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Carlos Manuel
on Jul 8, 2010 at 6:01:02 am

As a matter of fact both instances, I think, involved a battery (AB Hytron 140) coming fresh off the charger. In Miami I grabbed the camera out of my hotel room to go shoot some B-roll but when I got downstairs I realized the camera was dead. This weekend we were just coming off of a lunch break and when we went to fire up the camera...dead. Hmmmm. I don't know if that could be the cause. I just know that I can't afford to have that happen again.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2010 at 9:03:57 pm

I assume that you have the proper battery type selected?

Return to posts index

Carlos Manuel
on Jul 14, 2010 at 4:43:24 am

Both cameras should have been set to Hytron 140 since that is all we use. Do you think an improper selection in that menu could cause a problem like this? I wish I had kept track of the particular battery that was mounted on both occasions.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 14, 2010 at 6:08:46 am

[Carlos Manuel] "Do you think an improper selection in that menu could cause a problem like this?"

Probably not a blown fuse, unless there's a major problem in how the software tells the hardware to behave. It would be worth tracking that problem, though.

Return to posts index

Robert Fassino
on Jan 17, 2011 at 3:39:05 pm

Carlos,

Same thing happened to me, four time, on two different 2700. I would like to discuss your
fuse issues in a little more detail.

Robert@fireandlight.tv

Thanks,
RF

Return to posts index

Kaleb Giddens
on Jan 9, 2012 at 8:46:48 pm

The company I work for owns a 2700 VariCam. I just got a call from a friend who has rented our camera and is in Vegas and has apparently had this very same issue with the fuse blowing. Cam was working fine, henleft and and took a break, cam back 20min later, put on a fresh AB Hytron 140, and then the cam wouldn't ever turn back on. We work out of Indianpolis and the SuperBowl is right around the corner and am already gonna losing out on other work already scheduled for this camera. We've only owned this cam for 10 months or so. What can you tell me abut the best way to replace the fuse? Where can I get on to have on hand for backup? At the moment my plan is to wait until my friend, who rented the cam and has it Vegas, gets back with it and then send it in to Alex Feldman, the East Coast Panasonic Repair Rep. Alex won't really give me any straight answers and is just simply wanting me to send him the camera and he'll repair it and we'll get it back a week later. If we can take care of this on our own, and save the time, I'd love to. Or is therebanyone else at Panasonic to talk to whomis morenfamiliar and sensitive to this issue. Any other issues on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kaleb Giddens
Videographer/DP
kaleb.giddens@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]