FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2/Mac trouble

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Ouwinga
P2/Mac trouble
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:55:44 pm

I shot a music festival last weekend and I'm having some issues getting the footage workable on my Mac. Two of my cameras were HPX170s and we were shooting to 720p60. We dumped all the cards to my hard drive, I downloaded Panasonic's P2CMS, and I can't seem to get any more than 30 seconds of footage from any of the clips, before or after running them through the ingestion process. The file sizes are right, a bunch of my files are 5G or more, but I still can't view any more than :30 seconds of them with quicktime, FCP or any other software. I need to get these files into FCP so I can start on this edit, please help!!

OSX 10.6.4
Intel Duo 2.6

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2/Mac trouble
on Jul 1, 2010 at 4:36:10 pm

You don't need P2CMS to ingest.

Have you tried log and transfer in FCP yet?

Return to posts index

Shawn Ouwinga
on Jul 1, 2010 at 5:02:23 pm

i'm doing that now... p2 is new to me, so i haven't used log & transfer before. it's working for the time being. i was a little concerned when i read a thread that emphasized NOT doing a copy and instead logging directly from the card. we had to dump and clear the cards about 3 times so i was REALLY hoping the direct copy would be fine, and it seems to be.

while i have you though, i had 2 other cameras on my shoot- an HMC150 & a Canon XH-A1. obviously i'll have to convert the HDV footage from the Canon to DVCproHD, but is there a way to work with the AVCHD footage natively alongside the DVCpro? and if not, what is the best way to convert it? from what i've seen, Toast is a good way to do it, do you have any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 1, 2010 at 5:18:11 pm

[Shawn Ouwinga] "when i read a thread that emphasized NOT doing a copy and instead logging directly from the card. "

Where? So we can SMACK that person for giving out BAD advice. ALWAYS backup the card. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. These backups are your tape, in essence. Do you capture from tape, then erase the tape and keep only the captured footage? I hope not. No...watch this workflow:

P2 Workflow with FCP 6

And note that using software to offload like ShotPru Pro would be MUCH better than just drag and drop. It verifies the copy is good. and automates this process.

[Shawn Ouwinga] "ad 2 other cameras on my shoot- an HMC150 & a Canon XH-A1. "

Convert both to ProRes. That mixes fine with DVCPRO HD. Log and Transfer will bring in the HMC-150 stuff that way, and you can capture HDV to ProRes via firewire too.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/poisson_chris/hdv-prores.php

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shawn Ouwinga
on Jul 1, 2010 at 5:43:39 pm

cool, thanks Shane. so will the ProRes playback in the same timeline with DVCproHD without having to render? that's my biggest concern. also, aren't prores file sizes incredibly huge compared to DVCproHD? storage is definitely a concern since i have around 35 hours of footage, and everything will eventually be going to mpeg-2 for dvd anyway, and although prores looks great, if the file sizes are 10 times as big i'd rather just go DVCproHD for everything until i compress for dvd.

FCP 6.0.6, btw

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:05:32 pm

[Shawn Ouwinga] "so will the ProRes playback in the same timeline with DVCproHD without having to render? "

No, it will be a real time playback though (green bar). Eventually you will render.

[Shawn Ouwinga] "also, aren't prores file sizes incredibly huge compared to DVCproHD?"

DVCPro HD is 100 mb/sec (megabits), ProRes SQ is up to 145 mb/sec. It's slightly larger, but nowhere near 10 times larger. In the log and transfer prefs, you can change the AVCHD codec to ProRes LT, that is 100mb/sec which should be around DVCPro HD sizes (ProRes is VBR so the data rate is not fixed).

Return to posts index

Shawn Ouwinga
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:25:47 pm

ok great, thanks so much for the input!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2010 at 5:19:25 pm

[Shawn Ouwinga] "but is there a way to work with the AVCHD footage natively alongside the DVCpro?"

Log and Transfer again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]